MBP 17", no wireless signal showing, but able to connect to the internet.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LeahM, Mar 20, 2008.

1. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Has anyone else had this problem? When I connect, it shows which connection I have and the internet works fine but the waves (sorry I'm a newbie) in the top right corner aren't green like on my Touch.

Also, it keeps disconnecting every couple of minutes, and in order to connect I have to be in the same room.

I absolutely love my MBP and don't want to have to send it back. Is that my only solution?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Have you done the software updates? The airport status won't be green like on a Touch, it's just black.

3. LeahM thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeahM

It stays gray. No I haven't done any updates. I will definately look into that.

I've read somewhere that they took the updates down and then put them back up, so I'm not sure if I want to jump on that bandwagon right away.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Apple calls the Airport label a tornado :rolleyes:

Also it's gray, but it works because your signal is very weak. I would recommend a signal booster and/or a hi-gain antenna.

5. LeahM thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeahM

it stays the light gray even when I am 5 feet away from the antenna.

6. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

Are you using leopard by chance? Because the meter for the airport in leopard measures network speed instead of strength...for some reason or another....

7. LeahM thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Honestly, I have no idea. I got it in the beginning of March. I'm pretty sure.

I'm new to Mac and it was a b-day gift.

But thank you!!