MBP 17 vs MBP 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JelliedEel, Sep 28, 2012.

1. JelliedEel macrumors newbie

The 17 inch MBP (from last year) AG is only about a pound heavier than the 15 inch MBP AG (and they are each lighter than their glossy equivalents). What I don't understand is how the 17 inch is seen to be so much bulkier than the 15 inch - they are both very bulky but with not much between them compared with the 13 inch.

As for the res, isn't it possible with the 17 inch to make the res smaller so you can see the text easier?

As for refurbed macs, is it possible to order a refurb mac and at the same time (assuming there is only glossy) ask for an AG screen upgrade or ram upgrade?

Long time lurker first time poster says thanks.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Answered your questions in bold.

3. JelliedEel thread starter macrumors newbie

OK Thanks. But after I buy it and pick it up, then can I get Apple Macintosh Store to put in new ram ie to make it 8 GB. Then if they do, will they give me the old 2 x 2GB sticks back or keep them?

Also, will they put in 16 GB ram into a 2011 MBP? If they don't have 2 x 8gb sticks, and I provide them, will they put them in for me or not?

Also how is a computer barely an inch wider and a pound heavier considered such a burden to people. I don't see any downsides to they 17 inch MBP.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yes but I recommend doing it yourself. Its super easy and takes 5min and a small phillips screw driver which you can buy at walmart or home depot.

People are lazy, fat and weak. lol.

I recommend these;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233265
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104317

5. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

It's the inch wider users complain about. No one that had one that I know of has had a mind to keep the 17" form factor. They were all downsizing. This was prior to their EOL status. YMMV.

6. Inside_line macrumors regular

FYI the 17" in lower resolutions looks quite fugly. Yes the text is bigger, but it is blocky and pixelated. A better solution is just increasing the font size in whatever application your using.

7. JelliedEel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you thank you thank you!!! !!! !!!

So I think I will get them to upgrade the RAM because I don't want to void the warranty. Will they accept my RAM sticks or only use theirs? How much is it usually (in English Pounds)?

Also is it possible to order a MBP Refurbed and then pick it up in the store? Is it possible to even buy it/order and pay in store? Not a reseller but an Official Apple Macintosh Store.

Also getting back to 17 vs 15 (sorry about going off on a tangent) is the track pad on the 17 bigger than the 15 ? Is it comfortable to use with all that space underneath the keyboard?

Is the EC34 slot going to be useful for something in the future (other than a SD card reader slot) or not?

Many thanks to you Gentlemen!!!

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Changing the ram and or hdd doesn't void the warranty. It's the only serviceable parts which is stated in the apple manual.

9. JelliedEel thread starter macrumors newbie

OK I will buy 2 sticks of 8 GB ram and put it in - total 16GB

But...

Also is it possible to order a MBP Refurbed and then pick it up in the store? Is it possible to even buy it/order and pay in store? Not a reseller but an Official Apple Macintosh Store.

Also getting back to 17 vs 15 (sorry about going off on a tangent) is the track pad on the 17 bigger than the 15 ? Is it comfortable to use with all that space underneath the keyboard?

Is the EC34 slot going to be useful for something in the future (other than a SD card reader slot) or not?

Many thanks to you Gentlemen!!!

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

1. I don't know. But I'm going to a ML workshop later this morning, I'll try to remember and ask.

2. Trackpad and kb is the same size on both 15 and 17" models. I don't have any problems with the little bit more space in that area, it's just more palmrest area to me.

3. The EC34 is really just a legacy expansion port for older equipment. But besides a SD reader, there's also eSATA and USB3 expansion cards you should be able to use in it.

11. kjlake macrumors member

To the best of my knowledge, you can only order refurbs online. I do not believe they are available for in store pickup

12. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I love my 17" w/1920x1200 res and wish they were still making them. What I really wish is that they would make a 17" with true 3840x2400 resolution.

13. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Well I don't know you;)
    I am sure some people liked them just fine. Just not enough to keep the line alive as everything keeps shrinking.

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I think the overall concept of the desktop replacement notebook is falling out of favor, since good quality external monitors are relatively cheap these days, and most laptops have enough horsepower to use them.

That said, I LOVE my 17"!

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yep - They're getting cheaper everyday. You can pick up a nice Samsung 21.5" for less than $250 :D

16. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Yep just like cars smaller things smaller minds.....part of the plan....

----------

Yep! I love my 17" too!

17. rev.b macrumors regular

rev.b

Went from a 15" MBP to a 17" MBP and never looked back.
    Not that much bigger than a 15" and I can really use 1920x1200.

I still can't imagine what laptop I'll buy next.
    15" rMBP is awesome and light and thin and not upgradeable, but 1920x1200-like in a 15" really hurts your eyes.

18. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

If you buy the unit at the time, they will keep it since the "upgrade" price of the new RAM is partly made up by taking the old RAM back. Buy upgrades afterward and you keep the original goodies, but it will cost a wee bit more...

That's how it was with my 2009 Mac Pro, for both RAM and video.

I too prefer the 17" model... pity it's been discontinued...