MBP -2.26ghz, 2gb, 9400m. What games can you play?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Messy, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Messy macrumors 6502

Hi chaps,

Just picked one of these up for cheap, im not expecting anything amazing performance wise but...

...for those of you who have tried to run games on this, what have you successfully run, with what settings, in bootcamp, overclocked gpu, etc etc?

I'd be curious to know what people can run with this specced MBP.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Mag1c22 macrumors member

you really aren't that limited, just figure out what games you'd like to play, cod4, wow etc. and look at the required specs.

you may want some more ram though

3. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, RAM seems a definate upgrade I think. 4GB seems to cost around the £50 mark.

4. Branskins macrumors 65816

I played Starcraft 2 on that same setup for a few months on low settings. The game is still really playable, but 2 GB RAM is really the bottlekneck here.

I had to restart my computer before and after SC2 because the system would become extremely slow while playing. After closing the game I could barely do anything either. Restarting (clearing the RAM) always fixed this.

But.....I bought 8 GB of RAM and my computer felt like a completely new computer. SC2 no longer slows my computer down and the game loads much much faster.

At first i thought 8 GB would be overkill, but IT IS NOT. I am consistently using around 4 GB of RAM and when SC2 plays I use over 5. If I had not gotten 8, I would have experienced the same slowness when the system needs to begin shuffling things out of RAM into the HDD.

Also, when I had 2GB, it was hard to have iTunes and other apps open because of limited amount of RAM. Now I can play, have iTunes open, adium open, Mail open, Safari open, and still have a ton of free space.

So yes, long story short, you can play games on that computer (WoW and SC2 and Warcraft III from experience) but be wary of the limited amount of RAM you have. It is hard to have many apps open at once when playing this games and your system may slow down after playing until you restart.

You should really consider upgrading your RAM to 8GB. 4 should be good if you cannot, but you will amazed how different the computer will feel if you can up it to 8.

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

6. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I played Portal and The Sims both work well, the Sims 3 is slow as heck...

7. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

On mine I played Modern Warfare 2 on the Mac side in single player mode. I don't remember the settings, they were default. I never touched them. It got a little glitchy during the fast moving, high activity scenes, but was very playable. I haven't played it since I upgraded to 4GB.

Also Braid is a great game to play if you haven't seen it yet.

8. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll give Portal a go, why not. Ive also got Age of Empires III which seems to work pretty well.

9. scottmcp432 macrumors newbie

Here's what I play

On my mid ' 09 MBP 2.53 c2d, 8 Gb RAM, geForce 9400M I play COD4, Bioshock, Battlestations Pacific, WC3, Diablo2, AOE3, civ4 and Borderlands. Some of these games need the graphics dialed down a wee bit (Bordelands, BP and civ4) but cod4 plays quite well maxed out. I am installing Win7 HP via bootcamp tomorrow and cannot wait to see how the 'ol MBP plays games in Windows. BF2142 here I come. :D:apple::D

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Is it really that noticeable? I have a 2.0 unibody aluminum MacBook, but I have 4 gb ram instead of your 2. Not sure if I would see a big jump in game performance though. Hmm

11. scottmcp432 macrumors newbie

Try this also

Yes, the difference will be immediate and obvious. May I also recommend you try the cpu optimizer "Apptamer". I get an extra 10 frames per second using it. There is a free trial before you buy also.:)