MBP 2.4 i5 Heat and RPM with gaming???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by michial, Nov 22, 2010.

1. michial macrumors 6502

michial

My wife has a MBP 2.4ghz core i5. She has Sims 3 and all the expansion packs. She uses the architectural features to build towns and houses,etc. Well it makes a steady fan noise after a while(she plays for a few hours straight). I checked the istat widget and its at 5998 rpm and 164 F with a noticeable fan noise. Not as loud as windows laptops that I can remember but loud enough to notice. Is this normal? The machine is only 2 months old. It works great and only does this when she plays Sims3(the only gaming we do on it). Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for the help and Happy Thanksgiving.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Graphics Rendering = Calculations = Voltage = Heat = Increased cooling needs.

Everything is fine.

3. michial thread starter macrumors 6502

michial

So those numbers 165 F, 5998 rpms are ok? If so Im good with it. As a new mac user I dont want to mess anything up, but I cant imagine sims3 doing that. Sims 3 with expansion packs is like 25 gbs (5 different install discs) so I imagine it takes a lot of power to run it.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The size of the game has (almost) nothing to do with its CPU use, even a small Flash or Java based game can cause high CPU usage.

And yes, those numbers are correct.

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X:

Mac OS X Basics

Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

"How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" created by mad jew in 2006

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about questions you have. It might be able to answer you quicker than waiting for an answer.