MBP 2.53ghz...XP or Vista and 32bit or 64bit for gaming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sharwood, Jan 6, 2009.

1. sharwood macrumors newbie

title says it all...I have the new MBP 2.53 ghz, and I'm wanting to run some windows only games. It seems like I've been getting mixed signals as to which windows OS I should run through bootcamp. So what's your advice?

Windows XP 32 bit
    Windows XP 64 bit
    Windows Vista 32 bit
    Windows Vista 64 bit

Thanks for your help!

2. efedor macrumors regular

If your asking for opinions my opinion is the XP 32 bit. It is very fast and reliable. I use it to play games like half life2 and bioshock without a hitch.

3. sharwood thread starter macrumors newbie

well...I'm currently running vista 32bit on it, but I've read that only XP takes proper advantage of the memory? I don't mind downgrading to xp if this is true, also, if 64 bit is going to be noticeably different I don't mind upgrading.

Just curious if any of them are better than others on this laptop for whatever reason.

4. Zortrium macrumors 6502

If you search the forums you'll get a million topics on this issue - most opinions are either XP 32 bit (almost nobody will recommend XP 64) since everything's compatible with it and it uses fewer resources than Vista. If you go for Vista, most people (including myself) will recommend 64-bit, since Vista 64 is every bit as good as 32 and you can use all your memory. Personally, I went for Vista 64 and haven't had any issues.

5. ljay macrumors newbie

I use vista 64 bit sp1 and it works great. I have 4 gigs of ram and I like to have all of it available and 32 bit OS's only recognize 3.5 gigs or less.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

For gaming Windows XP 64 bit every time! Let me explain:

Why XP and not Vista?

XP hogs less system resources, so your games will run faster, and you'll be able to play them in higher graphical settings, even Windows admit and recommend this.

Why 64 Bit?

Because if you have 4GB of RAM or more only a 64bit operating system will recognise it. Also 64bit operating systems run faster due to their ability to assign the RAM tasks more efficiently.

Some people may try telling you that there are driver issues with XP 64 or that its isnt very compatible, but that was about 2 years ago when it was brand new, and now its a very stable and very fast operating system :)

7. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Been using Vista 32bit for gaming on my gaming PC and it's great. Unless your system specs aren't too great (this isn't the case here) there isn't much of a reason not to run Vista.

8. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

2nd this. I've had both the 32 bit and 64 bit version of XP on my MP and the 64 bit version absolutely screams, undeniably faster than the 32 bit counterpart. And absolutely no issues running anything I throw at it.

My ONLY complaint is that I've yet to get the bootcamp control panel to install in XP 64 so thus I have no volume control capability (or any other other extra control keys: Eject, Pause/Play etc...).

9. efedor macrumors regular

What is the most economical way to upgrade from 32bit xp to 64 bit? Any suggestions? I have 4gb of memory and I would like to use them all!!

10. sharwood thread starter macrumors newbie

It looks like you can get a 64 bit vista ultimate upgrade cheaper than 64 bit xp. I've only checked ebay so far though.