MBP 2008 is no longer allowing me to select user profile at startup (trackpad issue?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Whackintosh, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

This is crazy. I've been using my 2008 MBP for years without a problem. Last week, the trackpad began acting funny in that it wouldn't allow me to highlight text in order to cut & paste etc. The trackpad still worked fine in every other regard, but I started getting beach balls very regularly, even when I didn't have many applications opened at once (and sometimes when only Mail and Safari were running).

Now, from out of nowhere, the trackpad isn't registering hard clicks at startup and I cannot get past the initial screen where I would normally select a user profile. The trackpad is still registering movements (I can move the curser anywhere) but I can't click on a user profile to get anything started. No idea why this is happening or what I can do. Has anyone got any tips or ideas?

2. simsaladimbamba

You don't need a trackpad or mouse to login.
    Just press the first initial of the user you want to login and then press ENTER, then enter the password and press ENTER again.
    As for the trackpad, is it an early 2008 or late 2008 model?