Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SvenneDK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2012
Hi all,

My Macbook Pro 15" mid 2010
  • i5 2,4 GHz
  • 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 330m 256MB
  • 320 GB 5400RPM HDD (Original HDD, files)
  • 120 GB OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD in the superdrive slot (OS)

I've had a lot of GPU kernel panic issues during the last couple of years but have managed to control this by using gfxCardStatus. No panics in a while, but just got one now, when I unplugged the MBP from the external screen I'm using (1440p Dell, Displayport). Did as I always do - restart and make sure that gfxCardStatus is set to Integrated Only. Also, I use Macs Fan Control, set to sensor-based value at CPU core 1 and 2, 65c/85c settings - used this setup for quite a while.

But now, after the latest GPU panic, when I start/reboot, I hear the fans slowly increasing in speed and when it's all booted up, the MBP runs extremely hot, ~90-100 Celcius/~195-200+ Fahrenheit and fans at ~6000rpm

I know that this wouldn't be weird if i.e. kernel_task took up 400% of the cpu load, or something like that, but NO process are taking any unexpected amount of either CPU, memory or disk load, and the MBP is quick and responsive, just DAMN hot and loud. All devices (External HDDs and monitor) has been disconnected, and Dropbox, Chronosync etc. has been shut down, so the MBP just sits on my desktop with no applications running, plugged in with AC, and it acts like it's under extreme high load, even though it has just booted.

I've reset SMC and VRAM numerous of times now, so this doesn't work.

Three weeks ago, I made a replacement of the original thermal paste and battery, and the MBP has been running very smooth since then. The problem I'm describing has JUST suddenly happened, out of nowhere.

What to do???

Last edited:

SvenneDK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2012
Nobody?

Please see my iStat numbers. CPU is going crazy and the laptop is completely idle.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-08-16 21.43.59.png
    Screenshot 2016-08-16 21.43.59.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 170
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.