MBP 2010(7,1) 13" is suddenly so hot these days

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pjny, Jun 16, 2011.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have been using the MBP 2010 13"(7,1) for 28 weeks. In the last 1-2 weeks I've noticed the laptop is getting really hot on the bottom of the computer, just around the 4-9 number keys and up to the spine of the laptop. Even when I am using the laptop in an airconditioned room/car.

I had the notorious Dell XPS M1330 heatsink issues that fried the Nvidia GPU and motherboard around 7 times(no joke) in two years. This heat is similar to the kind of uncomfortable head that burned my lap.

Is the MBP suffering from the same issue and what will Apple do to fix it? I don't want to perform any "copper mod" fixes. Could it be the exhaust slots(i hear they are along the spine of the computer) are blocked and trapping heat. Please help.

Thanks.

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Its because thats where the CPU is.
    My 2011 MBP is about 50C and is hot. but nothing to worry about.
    Mine went up 90 which is pretty hot but no crashes no nothing

3. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm just wondering why it didn't happen in the last 26-27 weeks. It's super hot and uncomfortable to use. I have to use the laptop in my car a lot and also worried that the heat might fry the motherboard(or cause other problems) as it did so often on the Dell.

Do you think the exhaust port is blocked? Should I open up the laptop and use a dustgun? I know this was a problem on desktops and some laptops where exhaust fan is blocked by dust.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Use iStat Pro to check your temps. Also, some activities tend to heat up the computer more than others, so that may have something to do with it.

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

you know, I still have my PowerBook G4 12in from 2002 and it works fine. Never done cleaning before (must look horrible inside haha)
    But if you want to check the vents, its right behind the screen and the keyboard (where its connected).

But if you haven't placed it where there are many dusts, I don't think it has a problem. And I don't know about the car since I never leave a valuable computer in my car. I always carry it if I bring it with me.