MBP 2010 had Mobo replaced - Now keyboard lights not working?!?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cjc1706, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Cjc1706 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have just picked my MBP 2010 back up from the apple store, after it having its main logic board replaced. After having it back home for a few hours, I have only just noticed that the keyboard back lights are no longer functioning. By turning the brightness up with the f6 key, it brings up the HUD which shows the brightness bar going up, but the lights are still off.

I have tried to go into the settings and turn off the option that says automatically illuminate keyboard in low light to see if that fixed the issue, but no success. I have also installed lab tick, but this still did not get the backlight functioning.

The last thing I tried was a SMC reset. I performed this twice but to no avail.

I have tried to search the forums for alternative reasons as to why they would not be working, but cant find anything.

Can anyone advise me as to what my next step should be? I would like to try to fix this myself rather than take it back to the apple store, as it is about an hours drive away (last resort). I have read that there is a cable that connects the keyboard backlight, and this could become loose during maintenance. Is this easy to find / check ?

Thanks

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

They've forgotten to plug the light cable in - it's pretty straightforward to fix but it's very very tiny. Take the back cover off and see if there's a little ribbon cable hanging loose - it'll only be a centimetre or two long and very skinny - just need to plug it back into it's plug.

3. Mikesus macrumors 6502

Take it back? I always lol when I see these threads. You took it in, they fixed it under warranty, and something still isn't right, sooooo you are going to go mucking around inside and potentially break something.

TAKE IT BACK. Let em fix it.

/soapbox mode off

Additionally, mention that you had to drive an hour each way, never know they might throw you a freebie for your trouble...

4. borisiii macrumors 6502

They have done this with mine before. Re-connecting the keyboard backlight power cable is just about the last stage in reassembling a MacBook and, for whatever reason, it seems quite common that they forget to do it. I would take it back – it's a 10 minute fix. Book a genius bar appointment if you can, but since it's a quick job and only rectifying an earlier repair, they will do it for you on the spot if you just turn up.

If you insist doing it yourself, follow steps 1, 2, 13, 14 on the link below, then reverse them to reassemble. I would suggest you only attempt this if you know what you're doing, because if you end up causing any damage, it won't be covered by warranty. You will need a philips 00 screwdriver.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2010-Logic-Board-Replacement/4314/1

5. dacoolest macrumors regular

take it back. I had a similar prob after replacing the top cover and they fixed keyboard lights in few minutes!

6. Cjc1706 thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent! Spot on mate! Although it was the 15 inch version, I managed to find the correct guide. I opened the machine up and they had forgotten to connect the keyboard power ribbon, it was unattached underneath one of the fans. Carefully connecting this back and then putting the fan back solved the problem. So a simple 5 minute job has saved me a long trip back to see apple.

Thanks for your help!