MBP 2011 15" specs help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darao80, Apr 29, 2011.

1. darao80, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

darao80 macrumors newbie

Hai thar,

I am looking to get a new macbook pro, around the 15" models. I'm a student so I can get the educational discount but my budget is only around 1700-1800

Right now I was just looking at the base model, with 500gb 5400rpm, 4gb ram, normal display yada yada yada...

I can spend about $100-200 extra on configuring a perfect laptop, and I would love to get say a 128gb ssd (get an extra tb for media), 8gb ram and high-res antiglare display but unfortunataely, I can only really choose one of these options :/

I do heavy video editing, graphics rendering... etc. most programs I would be using would be FCP, After Effects, Cinema 4d, Photoshop. I would be using this mainly around home, ocassionaly in direct sunlight (so anti glare doesn't really matter too much)

Which option should I choose? Any advice. Again I can only really go up to about 1800, possibly at the very most 1900.

Thanks for your help in advance
    :)

Just to add: basically, should I go for faster HD, more RAM or higher res screen? (I also currently have a 27" Dell Monitor so I'm not hugely worried about screen real estate, but I might be doing some mobile stuff at some point, which may require a high res screen but not essential)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Get the hi-res screen and 8GB of RAM from aftermarket. You can always add an SSD later on but you will be stuck with the display for good.

3. simsaladimbamba

As Hellhammer already wrote, get the High Res model, as RAM is cheaper if you buy it yourself (80€ for 8GB RAM) and SSDs can be had for 170€ if you want 120GB at least.
    I have the Anti Glare display with my 17" MBP and I use the same applications you use and I had a Glassy display before that in my 15" MBP. I prefer the AG screen overall, even inside a flat or house.

4. darao80, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

darao80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I think I'll probably get the High Res and I might get one of 'em thunderbolt drives in the future for all my editing footage etc.

Anybody know about this RAM:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6075371&CatId=4153

I would buy 2 sticks, unfortunately they don't seem to sell them in a kit.

I checked with most of the specs in the MBP manual

1. 204 pin
    2. DDR3 PC10600S (although the ram mentioned above is missing the "S", is this a problem?)
    3. It didn't mention a width on tigerdirect, but I presume since it's 204 pin, it should fit ok

Think this is good? Just making sure before I buy. And also if anybody knows of a kit (2x4GB) out there which is reasonably cheap?

Thanks again :)

Also, if anybody's had experience editing with different speed HDDs, do you think it's worth it to upgrade from the 5400rpm, and/or get a separate SSD/or 7400rpm. Are the speeds noticeable?

5. simsaladimbamba

That works. Maybe try MacSales (OWC) and Newegg (links in the following article):

It is not recommended to use the same HDD where the OS resides for storing video footage.
    Better use an external HDD or look into Optibay.

6. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

as others have said, go with the HIRES and upgrade everything later should it be required. the apple tax on RAM/HD/SSD upgrades far exceeds current street prices, and you have no option of going HIRES within reason after it leaves the factory

7. darao80 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks guys for all your help

I think I'll get the 4gb with 5400rpm and upgrade the ram with this kit (possibly sell off the 2x2gb that come with mbp)

still hesitant about the screen, whether I should save $150 or not. Anyways, thanks again for all the help :)

I'd be paying twice as much than I should if it wasn't for you handy people ;)