MBP 2011 15" with 6750m drops FPS after a few minutes of gaming - solution inside

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paxos, Apr 2, 2011.

1. paxos macrumors newbie

Hi,
    i had a very strange happening when playing starcraft in win7.

At first, the FPS were good (60 FPS), but after some gaming i noticed a huge drop in fps (< 30 FPS). MSI afterburner showed me this:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the GPU usage is dramatically reduced when gaming. The 0 values were generated while i tabbed back to windows.

So, what the hell is this?

GPU temperature was not critical, so i was not sure that this is a reduction during high temperature.

Well, to make it short: What helped was just one thing:
    DO NOT CLOSE THE LID WHEN GAMING!

I am playing on external monitor and deactivated internal monitor of the macbook. And so my book was closed. If i open it up, still playing on external monitor, the image is as follow:

[​IMG]

A lot better! Also gives me stable FPS. Strange - but i can live with that solution. Anyone any comments?

2. Inside_line macrumors regular

Yep, CPU and GPU throttle down with increasing heat. This is "normal" operation.

3. LoneI2anger macrumors newbie

i play with just the 15" screen and notcied that as well, all i did was make smcfancontrol have the fans spinning around 4000 so it keeps the computer cool even before the gaming happens.

it helps keep the computer happy and not just spike to 6000rpm when temps all of a sudden jump to 80-90. also have it elevated to help dissapate heat.

4. nnoob macrumors member

I had the same issues when I was playing Counterstrike and TF2 on windows and Mac, it drop FPS to barely minimal level like 20-30 FPS average, screen open = 50 to 120 FPS average using a 1920 by 1080 screen