MBP 2011 Update end of Feb at the very earliest?...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Herman123, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Herman123 macrumors newbie

...and current MB Airs has the most outdated processors in relation to the computer's release date?

"The "launch date" for the low-power chips ...... is listed in Intel's database as "02/20/2011."

"Apple essentially uses the same Intel processor technology as the original MacBook Air introduced three years ago"

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20029004-64.html?tag=TOCmoreStories.0

2. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Simply said, the current Air design provides a satisfactory level of power for most users as indicated by sales figures. An Arrandale i3 may not have any huge advantage over the C2D. Obviously, as SB progresses and surely with the die/power shrinks, ultra-mobile computers will adopt the new chips.

Also, keep in mind that the MBA really has no direct competition as it is a market-unique product, but size/weight wise, it is in the class with a lot of Intel Atom powered systems.

With SB CPU releases that are over half a year later than the release of the updated MBA, waiting may not have been worthwhile to update it. Even once the anticipated SB CPUs are released, how long will it take before they start showing up on Apple products? I am guessing that Intel will fill orders by size, giving the customers who give them the most business first delivery. Obviously, the MB series is not going to be it. Furthermore, I have heard rumors that certain laptop lines will also use Intel's newer solid state drives...if that is the case, surely giving the companies doing that the most attention makes sense, as they may be giving Intel twice as much money as SSDs aren't cheap.

Also consider that Steve Jobs' is not well and that has the potential to cause delay.

My point is that the MBA coming out when it did was a good idea. It sold tons and tons for the Christmas-time holidays, which is when you sell the most products by far. Apple's near $30 billion also indicates that their method of product release is successful. As of now, they are one of the most successful companies in the US, even at a time of economic recession. Even weirder is that they do not sell 'value' products either, and yet they are still moving them so fast they can't keep their products in stock at many stores.

3. thirty7alpha macrumors member

thirty7alpha

Jobs' Illness

With regard to Steve's leave of absence:

I think it might have just the opposite effect --- an earlier MBP refresh by Apple. "The company is fine, Tim Cook is great, we're ahead of schedule..." (pounds chest).

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I'm not saying due to a lack of progress, but hypothetically, if Steve can return eventually, they may delay products until his return as his introduction of Apple products has recently become the epitome of Apple development and innovation.

5. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

or maybe he will present us the new macbook pros from his webcam at home!:D
    but yeah, since the dual core sandy bridges are coming out at 20-feb, i'm hoping for the macbooks to be released at 25 :p

6. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

First off, Jobs is not going to present anything, let alone from his home. Tim Cook, Phil Shiller and Johnny Ive can all handle it. Second, the feb 20th release, this is the public release date. Nothing about that makes Apple forced to wait until this date to do anything. May be sooner with early access, may be later, we shall see.

7. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

that means there's still hope for pre-feb 20 release of the new pros? Argh you just made my day thank you!

8. thirty7alpha macrumors member

thirty7alpha

Agreed with Lifeguard90....if anything, perhaps Apple would take the opportunity to release on the same day, so as to get more bang out of the Intel PR.

9. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

Sooner the better, we shall see. need more rumors, get ipad out of the way.

10. almostt macrumors newbie

i can not wait for the update.
    i have been waiting for so long.
    my old laptop really sucks, so i've been getting by with my desktop to hold off for the update.
    i really hope the 13" gets an i3 cpu this time around.
    if not i will probably get the 15" base model.
    what if apple introduces a 14" macbook pro?

11. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

To the best of my knowledge Apple has never implemented a die shrink or new architecture into the MBP before the official release date. Hell, last year people had to wait for over 3 months for Apple to finally put Arrendale in the MBP. Why anyone would expect this to change all of the sudden I have no idea. Fortunately Apple has also never waited a full year to update the MBP which means we should see an update between the end of February and early April. All you have to do is look at Apple's history to figure this out.

12. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

Correct, Apple has never gone 12 months, or even 11 for the macbook/ macbook pro. ( never mind the air, or any "i" products, or mac pro) Apple is also said to use "magic", Tim Cook's words for product releases and road maps. Mixing things up a bit is competitive business. Look at this past week, were 1 week away from the original ipad debut event , and no invitations for a ipad2 event yet? Perhaps Feb 9th, makes sense because other PC companies are having events the 7-9 of Feb. Anyway, Apple won't wait 12 months or more for a macbook pro, i'd bet my opportunity to upgrade on that statement. In fact, big releases can and have happened along side before... last years ipad shipping/store availability only weeks within the macbook pro refresh. Also, if ipad2 comes out feb 9th, look at what is happening the 10th..

All that to say this, I do not know, you do not know. but the previous post saying look at apples history release wise tells us chances are quite high for a update sooner than later. Again, once the media world and leaks get past this confusion on ipad 2's screen resolution and an event is announced, all things should gear up for macbook pro. Only a matter of time, I bet within 60 days of today we will have them or know the date factually or great estimation.

13. DudeMartin macrumors regular

The sooner the better is all I have to say ...

14. presdaddy macrumors newbie

the ipad wont come out until at least after valentines day, as they have an ipad valentines day thing

15. DudeMartin macrumors regular

February is possible, March is likely, April is definite.

16. Kalach macrumors member

Kalach

Like!

17. Filipek macrumors member

As much as I agree with you: past results are no guarantee for the future unfortunately

18. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I think they will be out on the same day that invitations are sent out for the iPad 2 keynote. So....the second Tuesday in march. iPad announced 3rd Tuesday in march and released the second week of April.

19. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

No but who do you think needs a guarantee. It is not like somebody's business success or life depends on it. A good guess is all people need and for such the past is especially with Apple a very good indicator.

20. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

Hmmm, as another guess, but based off the now unlikely announcement of ipad 2 this month, soon will be verizon iphone launch( not apple centric) I', going to throw this theory out:

apple, as tim cook said, has magic in the launches and roadmap ; per say. I can see them switching things up and refreshing laptops first, then ipad second. this time around. especially since component makers and rumors suggest now a march/april time

21. DudeMartin macrumors regular

It'd be a bad idea (business-wise) to introduce two products at the same time.

Instead of having two 'exciting days,' you only have one. I guarantee that if you update MBP and release iPad 2 on the same day, it will not sell as much as let's say iPad then MBP two weeks later.