MBP 4.1 (Early 2008) Upgrade to SSD (C300) - Anything I need to know?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fantismo, Jan 21, 2011.

1. fantismo macrumors newbie

Hey all - I have a Crucial C300 (256g) SSD im going to put in my MBP 4.1 tomorrow - ive got the right tools (spudger and screwdrivers etc) anything I should know before I risk killing my MBP? :)

Thanks for any advice in advance!!

B

2. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

I wouldn't use the Crucial C300 in your MacBook Pro. In my case (I have a mid-2009 MBP), the drive couldn't maintain a negotiated 3Gbps connection between itself and the SATA controller -- it would always drop to 1.5Gbps. This was easy to replicate, too -- I could reset the PRAM/NVRAM on my MBP and boot into OS X, and the drive would initially show a negotiated link speed of 3Gbps, but soon thereafter it would drop to 1.5Gbps. I think this has something to do with the Crucial's proprietary drive controller, because I've since installed a Sandforce-based SSD and no longer have any problems.

I'm not sure whether this was a problem with the '08 MBPs, but I was able to find evidence that it was a relatively common problem with the '09s. There's really no benefit to going with the Crucial's 6Gbps SATA3 SSD drive anyway because, at best, you'll see 3Gbps with your SATA2 computer.

If I were you, I'd get a Sandforce-based SSD (like an OCZ drive or an OWC drive). Sandforce-based drives have a better history of working properly with Macs than do Crucial drives. And since OS X doesn't support TRIM, Sandforce drives do a better job of hardware-based garbage management (thus maintaining drive performance over the long term) than do other manufacturers' SSDs.