MBP and 23" Dell monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Trouble1, Mar 2, 2008.

  1. Trouble1 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2007
    Location:
    Thailand
    #1
    We are ready to buy a new computer and looking at a MBP 15", save the additional $300 for the 17" and put that towards a 22 or 23" Dell montior to run with the MBP.

    My question is will the MBP 15" drive the Dell 22 or 23" monitor? If running this set will work, what other issues, components or periferals should we consider?

    Thanks
     
  2. aosman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    #2
    I have a 15" Macbook Pro and it drove a 24" Samsung fine.
     
  3. Roadking macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
  4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2006
  5. Trouble1 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2007
    Location:
    Thailand
    #5
    2.4 vs 2.5 and $500

    I should mention, we are looking at the 2.4 w/256mb graphics version.
    We don't really do any graphics heavy applications. Just your standard home stuff with some music and basic photo stuff, maybe getting into basic video editing...

    I'm sure it will still run a 23" monitor eh?

    I can't justify $500 for those two increases. Put it towards RAM and back up drive.

    Should we get the 7200 rpm? Will we notice the difference? The $100 wouldn't be a deterent.
    Matte or Glossy?
    Again, we don't do heavy work with it and plan to get a desktop soon.
    This is more of a toy as to something we'll use for making money like some of those who mention using it for video and photo work.

    I wouldn't rule out a 13" MB IF it will run a 22" monitor...will it?

    And, the 2gb of Kingston memory for $52 seems like the way to go.
    Do you take out the 2gb that are in there and replace it with 2-2gb or do you just add?
     
  6. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    #6
    I have an MBP arriving in a few days.. I will be using it in a similar manner to what you describe.

    I got the 15" Matte with a 250gig HD [I want capacity over speed]
    I will be driving a 19" LCD screen, using an external Keyboard and mouse
    also it will be using a 1T TimeCapsule for Time Machine, and extra HD space


    As far as RAM.. in the MBP it is REPLACE not ADD
    So a 2gig memory kit will do you no good at all.. you need a 2x2gig=4gig
    I bought mine from OWC ($96)
     
  7. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

    ktbubster

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2007
    Location:
    US
    #7
    A macbook will run a 22inch monitor just fine. It's limited by the resolution really. A 23 will run fine, albeit the macbook gets hotter then the macbook pro does in these cases (I've had both and recommend the macbook pro if you can afford it)

    A macbook pro can run up to a 30inch ACD at native resolution.

    You replace the current 2gb with a 2 by 2gb set. I got mine from Newegg for 80 bucks shipped :) Works like a charm. You can sell the original 2 x 1 gb here or locally fairly easily. People with older macbooks, or imacs usually can only upgrade to 2 or 3gb.

    You will probably notice the difference in a 7200rpm drive if you are doing photoshop or things that tend to access the harddrive a lot. If you can afford the extra 100, I'd go for it. Replacing the drive in the macbook pro is a bit more of a hassle then the regular macbooks, so you may as well order it now if you can :) You will appreciate it later if anything.

    Goodluck!
     
  8. Trouble1 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2007
    Location:
    Thailand
    #8
    Is it $500 well spent?

    Well then, lets just get the 15" MBP.
    Now the final question.
    The 2.4 w/ 256 graphics and 3mb cache...
    or the 2.5 w/516 graphics and 6mb cache???

    I have a tendancy to by more power...even when I don't need it...at least currently...and my wife will never go for a 13" MacBook, she has it in her that she wants a MBP.
    I may start doing video stuff later on, but realistically mostly web, word processing, music, photo stuff,

    My thinking is this. Get the 2.4 and drive it around for a while...if, you need more power (noticably sluggish) then consider selling and buying something new later on, like in a year. More than likely the 2.4 will be plenty for what I'm using it for...then take the $500 you save on that and put it toward 4mg of RAM, a back up hard drive and Apple Care...roughly.

    Have I answered my own question?
    Somebody tell me the 2.4 is plenty and put the 500 towards something else...
     
  9. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

    mgargan1

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2003
    Location:
    Reston, VA
    #9
    The 2.4 is plenty and put the 500 towards something else...

    I'm not just saying that... the 2.4 is plenty and put the 500 towards something else!

    You're getting an amazing machine!
     
  10. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

    neiltc13

    Joined:
    May 27, 2006
    #10
    The size of the monitor makes absolutely no difference. There are countless 50 inch+ displays on the market which my non-Pro MacBook could drive.

    What matters is the resolution of the display.
     
  11. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

    digitalnicotine

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2008
    Location:
    USA
    #11
    You nailed it. :) You can put off buying Apple Care for up to a year after purchase. I have a similar setup only mine is 17" (the firewire 800 and screenage was worth it to me). I find it to be amazingly capable for a laptop, and I run several graphics applications as well as a few 3d apps. I'm ecstatic with my purchase, and hope you are with yours as well. Good luck. :)
     
  12. Trouble1 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2007
    Location:
    Thailand
  13. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

    digitalnicotine

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2008
    Location:
    USA
    #13
    Thanks, didn't know that. I must have confused 15" MBP with MB. :)
     
  14. Trouble1 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2007
    Location:
    Thailand
    #14
    The gun is cocked

    So, (picture of a man beating a dead horse) inspite of some of the current updates, we have decided not to get either the MB or the MBP.

    It just doesn't seem worth the money for what we're getting.

    We are on a holding pattern.:rolleyes:
     
  15. rpg1hero macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2008
    #15
    Stick with the cheaper of the two for now. If you're thinking about waiting a year, then wait for the next BIG update next year, and I mean the one that SIGNIFICANTLY increases speed, etc...
     

Share This Page