MBP black screen when trying to play WoW on OSX (But not Vista)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by powersurge, Sep 3, 2009.

1. powersurge macrumors member

I'm stumped. For the past year (Since I got my unibody MBP) I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why World of Warcraft freezes up with a black screen when I try and play it under OSX (but not when I bootcamp Vista) and I'm out of ideas. I've asked multiple times on the WoW forums but no luck so I thought I'd try here.

I've pretty much had the same issue since I got the laptop. Play for a min or 2 and it black screens. Doesn't seem to be heat related as the laptop can be ice cold and still freeze up and I don't think its hardware since Vista runs it just fine. I just picked up Snow Leopard hoping that maybe the small UI tweaks, performance boosts, and new drivers might fix the problem a long with adding a few new features but no luck even with a fresh clean install. :(

Any ideas guys? I don't want to have to reboot into windows just to play and I've got guild mates who play just fine on macs. At this point I figure all I can do now is call Apple care and ask them to figure it out :confused: Oh and yeah I'm running in high performance mode (with the 9600).

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Does it freeze up/black screen on the 9400M as well?

3. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Honestly I'm stumped as well. I play WoW all the time on my Macbook Pro (Unibody Late 2008 design w/ the 512mb 9600GT). It's worked just fine for me since day one.

I really hope someone can answer it for you because I'm leaning towards hardware since it works for a few mins, but like you said it doesn't explain why Vista has no issues.

4. powersurge thread starter macrumors member

Nope I just noticed this. I had assumed that it was most likely some quirky software issue causing it because I could swear boot camp defaults to the 9600 and boot camp didn't seem to have an issue. But it seems in OSX it does NOT freeze when using the 9400. I ran the extended Apple Hardware test but it never found anything wrong. I suppose at this point all I can do is give Apple care a call later in the week :confused: