MBP - Blurred Text and Flashing Animation - Is My Video Card Bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sclough, May 23, 2008.

1. sclough macrumors regular

Ok, so I wasn't really sure how to title this post. A few months back, I recently replaced my old iBook with a new MBP (Penryn). I occasionally see problems which makes me wonder if I have a bad video card or something else. There are two symptoms that I can tell. The first is that when you scroll down a page on Safari, the text is garbled and written over each other with lines duplicated. I've attached a screen shot of that to help explain. It gets to where if you don't scroll down the page VERY slowly, words are unreadable and lines are mashed together.

The other things that I've noticed is that certain things are not smooth, but will flash to white as they are happening. For example, when iPhoto at the Events level is flying through the pictures in an event in preview mode, it is not smooth, but flashes white and then the picture on each picture change. It's almost like the animation isn't smooth, but rather I'm seeing white and then the image when it should be a smooth transition. It will do the same in Safari when loading a page. As the elements of the page are loaded (for example graphics) they don't smoothly come into place, rather there is a very clear flashing of that part of the page back to white and then the graphic comes into place.

Hopefully this makes sense. When it starts happening often the only thing that will completely cure it is a reboot. It appears to be "cosmetic" in that the operation of the programs aren't affected and the cpu isn't pegged, etc which is why I wondered if the graphics card is flaky on my unit. Sometimes it will get somewhat better on its own after a while, but often comes back unless I reboot which I very rarely do.

Hope this makes sense, any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It seems several people have this issue; it could be a bug in Safari if it doesn't happen in other browsers. Have you tried another browser?

3. JacobC macrumors member

I know on PC's that don't come with Driver's Installed, before I install video cards that is something I experience.

But like the guy above said, it could just be a bug.

4. bloo macrumors newbie

a lot of people have had this problem, including myself.

the text "tearing" happens in any program (safari, firefox, addressbook, mail, finder, etc.) it basically happens in any program where you can scroll.

i've contacted apple numerous times and it's basically a defect in all penryn models.

sorry, but we're screwed until they release a software fix for this (if they ever do)

5. sclough thread starter macrumors regular

I pretty much use Safari exclusively so I haven't tried it in another browser. I feel a little better that at least it might be solved by a software issue. My main concern was about the video card and whether or not I needed to have it looked at by Apple since I only have the one year of Apple Care.

I guess the occasional "flashing" in iPhoto, etc is related as well?

6. JacobC macrumors member

It never hurts to try. . ..

7. sclough thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. I know the flash plugin is buggy. I actually did install the flash plugin upgrade from Adobe's site. The weird thing to me is that if flash were truly the problem I don't see why other apps would be affected.

Maybe I just need to make an appointment at the genuis bar and see what they say. The weird thing is that sometimes it doesn't seem to do it so I'm not sure how to make it do it on demand, although I have a couple of screenprints to prove it.

8. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

How long ago did you get your Macbook Pro? I would just suggest that you show them your screen shots, try to have 5 or six different ones, were you can see the date and time from the upper right that way they can see that it didn't just happen once.

9. sclough thread starter macrumors regular

I got it the day the Penryn's came out. I can't remember at the moment when that was but it seems like it was sometime in March wasn't it?

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

February 26th; I marched to the store in the morning. :D