Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
1.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg

:D :cool: :D

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
mini-review

all i can say is...WOW! this thing is freaking fast! mind you, my last laptop was the last revision of the 17" PowerBook's; a 1.67ghz G4. this new c2d is my first intel mac. i am very, very impressed with the speed of this thing. i'd have to say it is probably right there with my dual-core 2.0 powermac...maybe even faster...! :eek: i used to own a 15" 1.5ghz G4 but i ended up selling it for the 17". the 17" kicked ass but i now have a powermac with a 24" dell wide screen and the 17" was overkill at that point. going back to the 15" feels sooooooooo good. if i only had a single computer, the 17" would have been the perfect solution.

i went ahead and chose the 2.16 stock config. reason being i don't think i need the 256mb vram as i don't play any games and i will never hook this up to an external monitor anyway. all of my work is audio production stuff in ableton live. i can upgrade the RAM myself for about $100 or so. i got the last c2d mbp at the apple store. they put it on hold after i called them and told them i would be there in less than an hour. luckily they held it for me.

the right hand side of the screen is a bit darker than the rest of the screen. that was the first thing i noticed when i turned my new mbp on. no dead pixels though. very, very quiet. i can't hear any weird noises emitting from this quiet beast. i am in LOVE. this thing rocks!@$%

hope you all enjoy the pics! more pictures can be found here ---> http://www.djtekmoe.com/mbpc2d/mbpc2d.html. i know i am one of the first people on this board to pickup the new c2d mbp so i am definitely grinning from ear to ear which i am sure you already know. ;)

tekmoe

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Can't wait for mine to get here. Though, according to the status page, I'll be waiting until approximately 11-7. :(

thiagofll

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
MIAMI BEACH, FLORIDA
I placed my order the day it was released at 7AM PDT right when the online apple store was up and running, and still it is only scheduled to ship on Monday the 30th (go figure)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
thiagofll said:
Hello, First of all congratulations on your new machine. My question is how did you get it so fast? I placed my order yesterday when it was released at 7AM PDT and it is scheduled to be shipped on the 30th. Did you buy it from apple.com?

he bought it in person at an Apple Store (according to his post)

arn

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
yes i purchased this at an apple retail store here in dallas. we have 4 stores and i called all 4 of them today. each one of them did receive at least 2 of the 2.16 models. the store i bought mine from had received 5. i got to grab the last one! :p

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
Hey, tekmoe.
So you mentioned that you use Ableton Live...
I also do a lot of audio work, and just picked up a white Macbook. The machine is definitely "fast enough" (I'm coming from an ibook and imac G5, and it even beats the imac), but I've got that darn CPU buzz/whine, and from what I've been hearing, that's just the nature of the beast with the Core Duo.
I'm thinking that I'm just going to return this (I'm still within my 14 days!) for a new MBP. Not only will I get a faster machine (not a necessity, but a bonus), but I'll get a quieter one to boot. If I skip the Applecare for the first year, then I'll really only be spending just under $300 more to upgrade to the low end pro model.
Anyway, have you ever heard the CPU whine that people talk about with Core Duo laptops? Does this new MBP really have none of that?
It's tempting, man...

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
this thing is dead silent man. my hearing is pretty good too. i have everything turned off in my room with the exception of my DVR box. i can't hear this mbp at all unless i stick my ear right up to the keyboard.

MSD401

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2006
this thread makes Nov. 7 seem months away :(...... but there is light at the end of the tunnel!!!!!

miniguu

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2005
I posted this in the other MBP thread, but thought I would ask you too.
Does the hard drive make any noise when it spins up or down (ie waking from sleep)?

Congrats! It looks sweet..and hopefull I'll be getting one soon :D

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Very nice indeedy. I hope the issues with the first Macbook Pros have now been thought out and addressed across the board.

Congrats :cool:

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
heat

i don't know about the rest of the mbp owners but this mbp is not emitting much heat at all. i'm also not really pushing it, just basic web browsing and that's about it. i've read previous reports of people having issues with the heat when it was just sitting idle. i can promise you this is not the case with the new mbp. this thing rules.

zenvision

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
London
i was just wondering, does the screen tilt back further than the previous mbp? it kind of bugged me that you couldn't tilt the screen back as far as powerbooks. im guessing its probably the same, seeing as the case is near identical...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.