MBP Charger is Burning, Best Course of Action? [PICS]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Steve Jobless, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

2. NightwalkerUK macrumors member

For serious, youre asking for the best course of action?
    Buy a new one, plain and simple either that or wait until your house catches fire... Your call.

3. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

4. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

Dont buy a new one. Call apple.

They should replace it for free. There is no reason you should have to pay for an adapter that could have burnt down your house

5. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Apple will replace it for
    free :) same thing happened to my original iPod charger.

6. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Yeah but if its old, and is a result of stress they won't necessarily replace it for free. I cant bend the heck out of a cable then when the shielding comes off expect a replacement. Thats normal wear and tear.

7. Steve Jobless thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't see why I should buy a new one. I did nothing to cause this to happen.

I guess I should rephrase, should I take it to an apple store? or call apple care?

8. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

How long have you had it? Thats the big question.

9. Steve Jobless thread starter macrumors 6502

As long as I've had my MBP. Over two years.

10. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Don't listen to these guys. They are giving you a particularly hard time because they have no idea how the real world works when it comes to product liability.

Call Apple, and be polite and firm about them sending a replacement.

It does not matter how long you have had your computer. They should not be burning like that. If any damage was done to anything else, let them know about it.

This is grounds for a lawsuit. Apple knows it, and they have been very cooperative with remedying the situation to my knowledge.

If they are unwilling to work with you, call your local attorney.

There is already a class-action suit against Apple for this very problem.

11. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

apple will probably tell you its completely within spec....

i would look for some compensation...

this is the only way to stop this.

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You should get a replacement. "Burning" isn't a sign of "normal" wear and tear. Last year the cord started tearing near the magsafe connector on my previous MBP and even though power adapters usually aren't replaceable under applecare they still took mine and replaced it for free.

13. emt1 macrumors 65816

I am absolutely floored that you think it's a good idea to leave it plugged in when it is literally burning.

Wow. This is how people win Darwin awards.

14. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

yikes, just call apple you have nothing to lose. Other wise hop on ebay and get a new one even an off name brand but you need a new one.

15. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

16. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

There in lies the problem. After 2 years of twisting, bending, etc the internals in the charger may have gotten messed up. Then a tear in the casing could have caused something to happen that caused it to melt. I find it hard to believe one day it suddenly started looking like that, to me it looks like stress may have fractured the outer casing causing the wires inside to malfunction. Like I said, if I had a multi-year old cable that was used frequently and was wrapped up, bent, etc constantly, I would monitor it closely for any signs of wear.

Maybe Apple will replace it for you, but I am trying to be realistic. Any cable that goes through two years of wear is bound to splinter somewhere and if it does and something inside gets messed up it can create those problems. But call and plea your case by all means, I personally don't think they will cave.

17. dlhuss macrumors member

My god. If a charger can't withstand 2 years of use, that's a pretty ********* charger. The standard warranty in Europe is 2 years - you'd think they could at least last that long.

18. Steve Jobless thread starter macrumors 6502

I called, they sent me a replacement. No matter how you look at it, regarding bending or the like. There is no excuse for something like this to happen. I don't and didn't do anything besides unwind it to charge my laptop and wind it back up.

Thanks to those of you who provided constructive feedback, especially NovemberWhiskey

19. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

You are embarrassing yourself.

20. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Take it to an Apple Store and push the case that you were nearly electrocuted by a faulty product. I'm sure they will replace it for you free of charge. ;)

21. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I, unlike you apparently don't get embarrassed by the internet.... but thanks for trying. Anything else teacher? I love e-badasses, pathetic.

My 1 year old Macbook Pro charger got stuck on a chair leg and the casing was sliced. It sparks if moved in a certain way. But I am glad you got a replacement because now when mine breaks I will get one too. Was it my fault? Totally, but since Apple doesn't care I will take advantage of that.

22. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Seriously dude, you've been around here since May and only have about 200 posts. I have actually had experience with this same issue and the did replace my charger (within the first year). However, that was a common problem with the original 1.83 Ghz MacBook Pros so they had to agree. Now, this issue has been fixed using different materials in the new chargers, and a larger protective extension on the wire. Out of the one year, I also doubt that it will be replaced. As a corporation, they will find something that the user may have done in order to cause the problem (I'm not blaming the OP). Also, please be more polite, especially since you are new to the community.

Thank you,
    Aaron Lee
    e-thug buster

23. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

If they dont replace it, just crack it open and rewire it. Simple as pie.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've had 10 year old computer cords that have gone through hell and never catch on fire like this; take it to Apple and they will replace it; raise hell if you have to.

It's part of life; get used to it.

25. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

The maturity of some members is really starting to show through.

We had two people attacking the OP for a documented problem. He came on here looking for advice, and a bunch of guys jumped on him because they can't admit Apple has a defect in their magsafe chargers.

Who is being the ethug? I defended the OP, gave him some solid advice; meanwhile, these guys keep coming back adding snide remarks.

I guess the second you mention a defect in an Apple machine, you have the cult-members come and flame you.