MBP clamshell mode + stored vertically?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stormz, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Stormz macrumors member

Stormz

I have my new MBP connected to a separate monitor, and as I don't have much desk space, I was going to use it in clamshell mode and stand it up vertically (like in this photo).

Do you think this is ok, and if so, does it matter which way up you stand it?

That pic has it hinge down, but I was thinking it might be better if the hinge was up as that's the hottest edge. Just not sure if it might do any damage like that?

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

shouldn't be a problem, seems to be sufficient space on the bottom,
    only thing that moves would be the HDD but then I have a bunch of vertical standing external HDDs and they're running strong

3. Stormz thread starter macrumors member

Stormz

Thanks aeboi.

I haven't bought the stand yet - for now I'm just using two small piles of books either side to keep it stood up vertically on its edge, hinge facing upwards.

I've certainly noticed a fall in CPU temp since doing this (compared with when it was flat on the desk).

4. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

Hey, I've got one of those exact stands and it's been brilliant. The only thing I hate is the fact that I've got to plug in a few cables each time I "dock" it, but apart from that it works extremely well at keeping the MBP cooler than lying it flat and most importantly - it looks quite sexy :D I just wish I could get the :apple: to light up while it's on the bookArc!!

5. Stormz thread starter macrumors member

Stormz

Out of interest, do you slot your MBP into it hinge facing up or down Siriosys?
    Will it work both ways?

6. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

I rest mine on it's hinge, however I was just thinking this morning about what it could do to the hinge over a long period of time (years).

I just turned mine upside down and I'll keep an eye on the temps for the next wee while and see if they change for the better..............I think it'll be pretty marginal though...........

7. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I haven't had any problems with mine in the BookArc. Mine is hinge up; thinking that the hot air rises and can get pushed out by the fans a little easier that way.

My only complaint about the BookArc is that the pad that fits my 2010 MBP doesn't fit as snug as the one for my 2009 MB. It ends up leaning in the slot. I could use a tighter one, but I don't want it to feel squeezed, either.

8. iPostpone macrumors member

Consider a Henge dock instead

For just $10 more than the BookArc, you can get a Henge dock for your MBP that holds the laptop in an upright position and connects to all of your peripherals in about two seconds. They sold out of the initial run in about a week, so they aren't available right now, but they should be soon. I was lucky enough to get one, and it works perfectly. The MBP stays quite cool while docked, and it is a very stable platform.

Check them out at http://www.hengedocks.com/index.html.

I have no affiliation with this company -- I just like their product, and since it's new, want to tell others about it.

9. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Wow. That's pretty sweet.

10. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

This has been discussed numerous times in the forum. Please search before posting. With regards to your current setup - I would avoid blocking airflow to the aluminum case with books on either side. Instead prop it up with a wire file holder system such as this: http://www.stacksandstacks.com/blog/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/file-holders.jpg

11. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

hey i'm not planning on doing this or anything, but i am curious about it. won't running your mbp in clamshell mode and then running some sort of cpu intensive app or game, wouldn't it overheat?

12. Stormz thread starter macrumors member

Stormz

iPostpone - thanks for posting that about the HengeDock - I'd never heard of that before. Looks lovely.

Siriosys and deadwulfe - thanks for your input on the BookArc.
    I think I'm probably going to get that but I'll keep looking at that HengeDock a bit longer.

13. Stormz thread starter macrumors member

Stormz

Please don't assume I didn't.

99 times out of 100 I put in the right keywords and successfully get my answer by searching. Occasionally I'll either not identify the right search terms, or the question will be an awkward one to search for. I actually scoured countless threads on clamshell mode and didn't see anything about which edge is best to stand it on, or which way up to have it.

With regards to the books thing, that's only temporary, and currently they're really not blocking much of the body - just enough to steady it. But thanks for the advice all the same.