MBP, close lid, go to sleep... with External Monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Holokai, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Holokai macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I'm running a MBP with an external monitor, Apple magic mouse and BT keyboard. When I shut the lid, everything shuts off for a second or three, then turns back on with the external monitor running as the only monitor.

Whats worse, is if I then OPEN the lid, the built in LCD is entirely off, and I have to go into system->displays and hit detect monitors to get it to turn back on.

Based on my searches on the subject, most people want their Macs to run with the lid closed.

Me though, I like to be different, and I want my MBP to go to sleep when I close the lid. That way when I leave the computer, I simply shut the lid and walk away.

Any ideas? can this be done?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

There's no way to override closing the lid.

But, you could just put the MBP to sleep with the display open, then walk away. You can use the Apple menu > Sleep; power button, then click on "sleep" (or just type "S" if you have "full keyboard access, all controls" enabled); or opt-cmd-eject shortcut.

3. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

The only reason I can think of for this happening is you using a BT mouse and keyboard. I use a wired keyboard and mouse. When I close my laptop, it will sleep until I either open it (which will cause both the monitor and MBP screen to work) or, if i press a key on the keyboard, the MBP wakes up with only the external monitor on.