MBP Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz: Compatible with Hitachi Travelstar 5400/7200 rpm?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grangerpotter, Apr 12, 2012.

1. grangerpotter, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012

grangerpotter macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here and this is my first post so please go easy on me :eek: Anyway, I have a mid 2009 Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo with 2.26 GHz and will be upgrading both the RAM and hard drive. I've done a fair bit of research regarding which brand and have decided to go with the Hitachi Travelstar. However, before I buy the hard drive, I have a few questions which I hope someone can help me with. I did try to search for the answers online but as such things go, there are conflicting opinions :p So I thought I would just try and see if I can get a direct/straightforward answers here. Any help is much appreciated :) So, the questions:

1) Is my Macbook Pro compatible with the Hitachi Travelstar? By this, I know the physical dimensions fit, but I'm actually wondering if there are any known problems in practice such as the dreaded firmware EFI issue or dropping the 3Gbps SATA to 1.5 speed issue, etc. I'm not sure if my specific Macbook Pro model is the same mid 2009 model that has all these problems so I just wanted to make sure.

2) Assuming the Hitachi Travelstar is compatible, which model is better and why: the 7K500 or the 7K750. I'm especially interested in those who have personal experience of either of these (or both!) :D

3) Should I buy the 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm version? Why? As of now, I'm trying to decide between 500 Gb, 640 Gb or 750 Gb (is there any difference to performance in regards of which size)?

4) I have also read that other recommended brands are WD Scorpio Black and Seagate Momentus XT: however, there are many horror stories surrounding these with mid 2009 Macbook Pros (again, can someone please clarify if my Macbook Pro model is included in regards to this?)...if someone can recommend any other alternative brands and models, I would gladly take a look.

** As of now, I'm on Snow Leopard but plan to use Lion as soon as I complete the RAM and HD upgrades.

Well, I hope my questions are straightforward and I really hope someone will be able to help me with these. Thank you for taking the time to read (and hopefully answer) ;)

Cheers!

2. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

I can't comment on that exact model but I have the same computer and I'm currently using a 500gb Hitachi Travelstar 5K500 (5400rpm).

It is a great hard drive and has given me zero issues (knock on wood) for nearly 3 years. My drive is basically silent and I didn't notice any decrease in battery life when I upgraded which were the two things I was worried about.

As far as the firmware thing. I don't remember if that ever got resolved but it was the 2009 models that had the problem. I just never upgraded my firmware (still haven't) so I don't know what will happen but I assume we'd still be hearing an uproar from people if this was still a major issue so you'll probably be fine.

Anyway good luck with your harddrive purchase :)

3. grangerpotter thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Saturn1217,

Thank you for replying :) I was wondering, I'm pretty sure our 2/26 GHz MBP was released in mid 2009 too...do you know if it's included in the list of MBPs that had had so many problems with the whole 3rd party non-Apple HDs or are those mid 2009 MBPs other models with other specs (i.e. not the 2.26GHz model)?

Right now, I'm just trying to decide between 5400 or 7200 rpm...hmmm :confused:

Thanks again!

4. davidlv macrumors 65816

I have the 7,200 rpm Hitachi in my 2009 MacBook Pro, 2.53GHz with the nVidea 9400GT only, works great. I also had good luck with a Seagate Momentus 7,200 rpm, only changed to the Hitachi cause I was curious and did not bother to change back as the Hitachi works so well. Sure an SSD would be great, but expensive.
    I think it should work fine in your machine despite the firmware issues many people had, mine is connected at 3GB.:cool: