Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryan.1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
China
Hey!

So my friend asks me to give him my laptop, and i do, it drops head on (the position which i could split in half) and now when I try to turn it on it just stays on the apple logo screen (white one) while the loading circle turns and turns.

I assume this is the hard drive either broken or something similar.

So now my questions isnt only what to do, since I will have to take it apple store and see what to do but that quite a long way from here (2hr bus trip).
So I would like to know if anyone had this happen to them before, and if so, did it cost a lot to repair? and also was your macbook like before after repairs?

I ask because I had a dell laptop with the same issue, I paid more than the price of a new laptop for repairs and it was never like it was before.

Any help or your old experiences will be of great help to me.

-A

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
Should probably stop dropping your laptops.

But seriously, it's probably just a hard drive issue. I dropped my MBP from my desk once and it bent the hell out of it. It still worked fine, so I wouldn't imagine that anything else was damaged. Buy a cheap HD and a geek friend to install it.

SlyMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Hey!

So my friend asks me to give him my laptop, and i do, it drops head on (the position which i could split in half) and now when I try to turn it on it just stays on the apple logo screen (white one) while the loading circle turns and turns.

I assume this is the hard drive either broken or something similar.

So now my questions isnt only what to do, since I will have to take it apple store and see what to do but that quite a long way from here (2hr bus trip).
So I would like to know if anyone had this happen to them before, and if so, did it cost a lot to repair? and also was your macbook like before after repairs?

I ask because I had a dell laptop with the same issue, I paid more than the price of a new laptop for repairs and it was never like it was before.

Any help or your old experiences will be of great help to me.

-A

I had an old 1st gen unibody macbook that I dropped and it turned out to be the HD. If i'm not mistaken, the HD that comes in the macbook doesn't have a free fall sensor so would be very easily damaged if on when the fall happens.

Try switching the HD out before you get too worried. It's trying to boot and thats a good sign.

ryan.1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
China
I had an old 1st gen unibody macbook that I dropped and it turned out to be the HD. If i'm not mistaken, the HD that comes in the macbook doesn't have a free fall sensor so would be very easily damaged if on when the fall happens.

Try switching the HD out before you get too worried. It's trying to boot and thats a good sign.

Well thanks for the help. I went to the apple store and it cost me around $300 for a replacement with a 500GB HDD. I was told that the hard drive was simply broken and didnt work.

But well its solved now. Thanks for the help.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

All Intel based Apple portables have the Sudden motion sensor if they use a standard HDD.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1935

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
If it is a HD issue than you should of just replaced it yourself... Spending $240 additional for a crappy 500 GB 5400 RPM HD is absolutely not worth it. Doing it yourself would of costed you $60 or cheaper and 15 minutes of your time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.