MBP dropped - won´t boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Markus80, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Markus80 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Our toddler decided to take one of our MBP down today. It was on when he took it down and nothing seemed to matter. Then after it was shut down, it won´t reboot again. It tries and tries....and sometimes it ends with a no entry sign.

What could possible be wrong?

2. Jrv macrumors regular

Your problem lies in the fact that your toddler DROPPED YOUR LAPTOP.

Get repairs or a replacement. Whichever one they offer you at the Apple store.

3. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

My bet would be that your HD is dead, perfect excuse to upgrade to a nice SSD.

4. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Definitely most likely the hard drive is trashed.

You hear any clicking or unusual noise when it tries to boot up? Even if you don't I'm pretty sure that's your problem.

Just upgrade the hard drive... Another person recommended an SSD drive, which does add some better security from future drops since there are no moving parts in it, meaning you can't damage the hard drive from a drop (as long as it's not too bad of a drop). You also get a much faster system. However, you also have less space to work with and you have to be wary of how much writing you do on your drive since they do wear out differently than traditional hard drives. And they're more expensive.

The upgrade is simple, I wouldn't take it in to get it fixed, you'll be spending more money than necessary. Look up a guide online and look around for some hard drives. :)

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Well if you're under apple care see if you can get them to replace it for free. Don't mention the drop and just say it isn't working?

But if that doesn't work out (or they charge more than 50 bucks), just buy one from the internet and do it yourself given you have the install disks that came with it.

I also hope you have a TM backup or something off site as well.

6. n8236 macrumors 65816

I digress from the others. The HD should tuck itself in with it feels there is acceleration of any kind. It's a protection mechanism that's built into the HD.

It would be pretty easy to test the hard drive since you crack open the back panel, then plug-n-play another.

My bet would be that something is loose, mainly a cable of some sort. I would make sure everything is nice and tight.

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Your hard drive was damaged in the drop.

Typically when a drive is damaged, it may continue to run but wouldn't be able to boot again because it couldn't load the necessary files.

If it's within warranty you could probably get Apple to replace it.

If not, I can repair and diagnose as well, probably for much less than Apple's out-of-warranty work.

8. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

This helps avoid damage to the hard drive. This does not prevent hard drive failure. Any sort of extreme impact such as dropping will make the hard drive crash.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Install...body-Early-2011-Hard-Drive-Replacement/5895/1
    Here's a step-by-step on how to replace a hard drive with a brand new one.

9. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

It sounds like it's the hard drive as others have said, though you should probably take it to the apple store just so they can take a look abs let you know whats wring with it. You may get lucky and get it fixed for free too.

10. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

SSD Upgrade?

If you find out that your HD is broken and want to upgrade to a SSD do some serious research. There are plenty of SSD manufacturers that will sell you a hard drive, but it might not be compatible with your particular MBP. I have a Samsung 470 that has been perfect for my MBP 13. It is a 3gb HD. There are a few 6gb drives out there, but they are expensive and sometimes not compatible. Good luck with your machine.

11. Markus80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for your advice.

You were right about the hard drive. I put linux on a USB stick and booted from that. But when the computer was running unplugged it suddenly died. And it happened again. So there is a problem with the electricity. Doesn´t that sounds like an expensive repair? The laptop is 2 years old.

Luckily, we are insured for damages exceeding $200 or so. We are waiting for our insurance company to react.