MBP - Early '08 - Wake from sleep - Fan craziness - Hot hot hot - BURN!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jzj687, Feb 15, 2009.

1. jzj687 macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm gonna try to be as concise and clear as possible, out of respect of your time (and mine; exams in two days). So, heres the timeline of my issue(s).

- Got my MBP 15", 2.5ghz, 4gb ram, 320gb HD within a month of them coming out

- Its been fine until 2 months ag

- Sometime in december, the screen's brightness went out of control and got 4x as bright as the brightest setting, and the screen was buzzing like mad!

- Did a hard shutdown and problem was solved

- Ever since then, once in a while, I could hear a faint buzzing, but was told by an apple rep in store that it was normal (phantom noises much? lol)

- Now, since early january, my computer just freezes out of nowhere: nothing to do running too many apps: e.g. happened when only running ical

- When it freezes like this, it just stops, i cant get the forcequit menu up, if i press caps lock, the green light doesn't come on... i is just completely frozen.

- So, when this happens, I usually press the combo+the power button and when it starts up again, all is usually ok (until the next time)

- However, a few days ago, when i did this for the 40th time, it started up again but said my AIRPORT CARD WAS NOT INSTALLED!

- Called apple, told me to reset the PRAM by taking out the battery and holding down the power button for 6 seconds --> It worked!

- Now, however, every time it freezes, i have to do this and sometimes it works and sometimes, it takes 4 resets of the PRAM to get my airport card back.

- Also, I should not that when I put my laptop to sleep (close the lid), its fine until I move it in the slightest way.... When I put it in my bag for example, it makes a noise as if the CD drive is working (no disc inside), and the light stops pulsating, and when i open it after, sometimes its making a faint noise as if its on but the screen is black, and sometimes it is shut off when i re-open my bag...

- Anyways, today, I open my bag, take out my computer and for the first time ever, it was BOILING! As in my finger is now BURNT (now, bandaged!)...The MBP was making noise as if it was going to explode!! I just touched it to get it out and it burnt me! my entire bag, full of books was heated up and it was in an incase neoprene case...

- It functions the same way now that it has been for the last while... but when I got home today, it started up OK, but the fan has been going nonstop for the last 20 minutes...

Ok, so thats whats been happening... I called Apple today and they've been juggling me around and now, Im waiting to hear form their "engineering" dept. Apparently, its protocol.

I'm freaking out since I need my computer for school (need as in 1 day apart is too much... its a necessity for my university program) and just to address the issue now, i havent brought it in yet, simply due to time constraints (program is just that intensive)

Just wanted to know what anyone knows/thinks about this situation...

Thanks

2. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Wow... I would definitely bug Apple until they did something. They will take the burning issue seriously. My fan broke, and I told them that it 'exploded' inside the laptop, and they had to go through some process to make sure no damage was done.

Also, here is what I think. You have a suicidal laptop. First it tries to burn out the LEDs in the screen. Then it freezes up hoping that you would throw it out of a window. Then it tries to catch on fire. What's next? Explosion from the LiPo battery?

This is unacceptable. If my laptop froze on a normal occasion on OSX (It did this in Windows for me) I would call Apple and tell them that this has happened before. It sounds like something with the power management on the logic board is defective.

Good luck, but I think it will be easy to get Apple to fix it. Mention the burns and the bandaid, maybe you'll score a free gift card or an iPod... Haha

If it's a non-custom, store-bought laptop, they may be understanding and give you a replacement immediately. Walk in with the bandaid too...

3. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

There's something badly wrong with the MBP. No argument.

You need to replace it or at least let Apple or an Authorized Apple Repair service look at it.

4. jzj687 thread starter macrumors regular

IT JUST GOT BOILING HOT AGAIN AFTER I TOOK IT OUT OF MY BAG!!!

Another burn!!!!!

Ive spent over 3 hours on the phone with apple and the most they've said is "take it into an apple store and they can try to repair it!"

Its under apple care and all, but seriously... Not even to mention anything about the fact that i've been burnt!? seriously? Won't even entertain the possibility of a replacement.... Guy kept me on hold for 2 hours just to come back and say "nope couldnt do anything, you just have to take it in and give it in for repair..."

Apple, I never thought I'd say this (after owning every ibook/powerbook since the clamshell and every ipod generation available)... but you guys suck.

5. Intense macrumors regular

This is from this website

"Time to make a large stink. Write corporate headquarters, demand a new machine. I love Macs, but I bought a lemon a few years ago that went totally belly up in about 35 days of owning it. They weren't going to replace that one but after a few rounds I got a full refund. Don't be a chump. You don't have to be rude, you just have to demand what you want and not stop until you get it. Maybe it'd be easier for them just to replace it if they can't fix it."

-
    I hope this helps in any way.

6. jzj687 thread starter macrumors regular

But seriously, what the hell...

If its a manufacturer's defect, which they basically admitted it must be, then they (according to my province's laws) cannot limit their liability for bodily harm!!

I had a consumer contract with them, and their product, BTO by them, was the cause of physical and bodily harm! They are completely liable... And they're not even treating me with any respect.

I asked a customer relations rep "so when a customer has been physically injured by one of apple's products due to a defect covered by warranty, what is your answer? Go to a retail store and get it service? Maybe they can fix it so it won't burn you again? if it does, youd have to get it repaired again?!!?!?!"

what the hell? that is not OK... not in any-way!