MBP Early 2011 vs Dell UltraSharp Monitor, Model u2415

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SabreVirginia, Mar 13, 2015.

1. SabreVirginia macrumors newbie

I cannot get my out of the box new Dell u2415 to work with my MacBook Pro (MBP). I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011).

After working with Dell Tech Support, they tell me it is "Plug-n-Play" and incompatible with Apple. However, I find on YouTube and here, people using this new Dell monitor.

I told Dell, I cannot get any Menu or what have you, to come up on the Dell. Only the "Inputs" selection. Frankly, after two nights and four hours or so (also with Apple). I'm about to give up.

Ideas???

2. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Are you using the Thunderbolt/Mini-DP port?

Reason I ask is that I think the monitor we use at work is the u27x series, and it actually has two of them, one input and one output for daisy-chaining. If so, maybe the u24x series does too.

A coworker and I banged our head against the wall for an hour before we realized his Mac was plugged in to the "out" port, not the "in" port.

3. neteng101 macrumors 65816

There's an in and out DisplayPort on the U2415, use the wrong one and you'll get nothing for sure. There's also a Mini DisplayPort but that's in only, so that's your two DP inputs - one normal sized, one mini. Since the monitor comes with a DP to mini-DP cable, I'm going to guess the OP used the mini-DP portion for the Mac, so they probably got the wrong port on the monitor side hooked up.

4. SabreVirginia thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both for weighing in on my problem. I will take your advice and check in the morning.

Just to be clear...Dell Tech. Support, kept following a script, which I understand the logic of, but didn't engage their brain when I said, "but the monitor's Front Panel Controls only bring up 'Inputs" and nothing else."

There is no "Menu" from which to select from, which in the User's Guide the Menu brings up a whole host of settings. I have tried all four buttons (dots) on the bezel / panel and each one only brings up "Inputs." (I've tried disconnecting the power cable and trying again too).

Thank you for coming to assist!!!

5. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

MBP Early 2011 vs Dell UltraSharp Monitor, Model u2415

I'm probably using mdp to dp at work too then--sorry for misremembering. But yeah, dollars to donuts that's your problem.

The menu button may only come up with a valid source, btw. There definitely should be one.

6. SabreVirginia thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, this morning I have, 1. removed power from monitor, 2. rebooted my MacBook Pro. 3. Checked the cable connection and found I am indeed plugged into the "DP in" on the monitor, and 4. plugged into my MacBook Pro's "Thunderbolt" port. 5. Powered back on the monitor, got the Dell logo and then nothing, no signal.

Again, I think it is the monitor that is the problem, because I cannot get its MENU feature to work, where I understand there are various selections I could make if I could access it.

I'm thinking of either sending it back to Amazon or seeing if a local store has this U2415 monitor and seeing how its MENU is accessed. Ugh...what a time-waster this all is.

Thank you.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

If you sense the problem may be "localized" to the display itself, perhaps it would be best to return that display immediately, and order up something else. Perhaps a different -model- display.

Do you have any other connecting cables you could try?
    Perhaps a different configuration?

Actually, the only Dell I ever used with my Mac worked beautifully (an old 19-inch model).

8. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Yeah, I'd try a different connector--hook a DVD player up via hdmi or something and see if it even works.

9. SabreVirginia, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015

SabreVirginia thread starter macrumors newbie

Tonight, connected the monitor to our Verizon FiOS HDMI input (from our TV). I did get a signal. Though it took some time, I was able to get the TV signal on the monitor. So, the monitor is capable of working.

Oh, and your were right! Only once you have a viable signal does the other monitor control features work, i.e. the MENU only then comes up and is available. (I do find that a bit strange though).

Thanks guys!

Next to troubleshoot: the monitor's DP ports, DP or mDP cables, and my Apple MBP.

The problem is, between work and family, I've little time to waste on figuring this stuff out.

Okay, well, if it is my MBP, what do I check to see if this or that is working? Or capable?

Thanks again.

10. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Next step would be to see if a store will let you connect it to a display monitor (or use a friend's) to make sure the MDP port and your cable work.

I'm sure an Apple Store would, if you have one near.

11. neteng101 macrumors 65816

12. SabreVirginia thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's the follow up to my MBP issue. Turns out, I had some bad ports and required a new logic board. The good news, my new Dell monitor works fine.

The bad, the repair folks left disconnected the internal connection for wireless. So, I brought that to the attention of Apple, took it to the store and its fixed.

However, with my first attempt at doing a FaceTime connection I have no audio going out and there's very loud snap & pops coming from my computer. Almost sounds like physical movement.

13. fav macrumors member

I think you should ask Apple to repair your MBP again. If they repair more than 3 times, Apple will exchange yours to MBPr 2014 with the similar configuration. I had MBP 2011 15" and struggled with the GPU problem. Last month, I asked here about the exchange problem and got some good answers, so I called Apple. I had to call several times to get a great helpful supervisor. After I found a great person, everything went smoothly and now I'm writing this with MBPr. You have already replaced your motherboard, but the new problem may cause you to replace it again, so you will be just 1 more ticket to go.