MBP external monitor color problem - DVI to VGA

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by djbreul, Apr 5, 2009.

1. djbreul macrumors newbie

I'm hoping someone out there can help me out with this.

Macbook Pro last years model. I use external monitors alot for video DJing. I normally go DVI to VGA using the adaptor that came with the MBP. The other night I tried a different adaptor- DVI to composite. Now when I go back to the DVI to VGA my external screens have a yellow green tinge to them. I bought a new DVI to VGA adaptor and that didnt help. I calibrated the color profile, detected displays. and still the external screens are a yellow green color. You can still see whatever Im playing but there is definately something wrong with the color.

Please Help me if you can. I use this computer 4 nights a week for work and I need it to be working good.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe the pins in your mini-DVI connector on your MBP were damaged during the change of adapters.

[​IMG]

Is the tint like this:

[​IMG]

or more like this:

[​IMG]

?

3. djbreul thread starter macrumors newbie

the first

looks more like the first pic. I guess the pins could be a possibility

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Is the same yellow tint still present when you put your video out via the Composite adapter?

5. djbreul thread starter macrumors newbie

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you still got warranty?

Maybe Apple (or your authorized repair duo) can fix it (without added cost maybe).

Otherwise I'm at my wits end.

PS: Just a wild thought, but maybe, and only maybe, repairing permissions could work (Disk Utility). It could be some fubar communication with adapter and software that relies on some now strangely absent/gone mad/... file.

7. djbreul thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, its still under warranty. Im taking it to the mac store today.
    we'll see.

8. djbreul thread starter macrumors newbie

so i took it to the Mac store. They couldnt figure it out. So I reinstalled the system software and everything else. Still i have the green yellor color on the external screens. This is telling me that there is a problem with the video card.
    What do you think.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If it's a problem with the video card hardware, you can only fix it by bringing it to Apple (the store).

What did they do? Did they just look at it, or did they analyzed it more professionally with tools and such?

Did they do the hardware test?

10. djbreul thread starter macrumors newbie

They didnt look at it and he told me to reinstall the system software and that would do it. It didnt do it.

11. rtcppguru macrumors newbie

possible connection issue

This may not be related, but I recently purchased a mac mini and when I first setup the DVI to VGA adaptor I had not unscrewed the side screws in order to get a full (flush) connection to the mac mini. I only mention this because I saw the same green-yellow picture. Once I unscrewed the screws so that the DVI plugged flush with the mac mini, the picture looked great on my VGA monitor. On my adaptor, there are little tumblers that help you screw/unscrew the adaptor.