MBP Faulty 8600 + a splash of water

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xchaotic, Jun 1, 2009.

1. xchaotic macrumors member

Hi.

I happen to have a Macbook Pro with an infoums 8600gt that suffered from overheating from time to time.
    But as I haven't used the GPU too extensively, this wasn't much of a problem.
    Now, I managed to splash a healthy does of carbonated rink on that Mac while it was in sleep mode.
    According to an inspection, all the elemenets of the logic board are fine, except for some minor artifacts and LCD itself being damaged, so a graphic subsystem being faulty.
    Is there any chance I could get it fixed/replaced under the 8600gt replacement program ?
    Any hints?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

All water damage invalidates the warranty. They'll see the sensors tripped and deny service.

3. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I don't think the previous generation MBP actually has the moisture sensors, but the unibodies do.... however:

There could easily be ways they would know it's been hit by sugary fizzy stuff, because it would be difficult to clean it out that well, and you'd have to root around inside to get all the sticky residue out, which would likely leave some telltale signs of unauthorized entry...

Also, their diagnostics would probably not match the characteristics of the 8600 gpu failure, since you said the LCD itself was damaged, which isn't the case with the covered gpu failure issue.

It may be a bit more expensive, but honesty is the best policy. No need to remember some fib. Nothing to come back to bite you in the rear. ;)