MBP gives electric shocks to my wrists while charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emir, Sep 12, 2011.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

Hi, i have a Mid 2010 15" MBP. It's great but i've been having this problem for a time, i just didn't have the time to post the question i think so here it is.

While it's connected to the charger, charging or using the power source(fully charged i mean) it sometimes gives my wrist a little hurting shock.(a thin nail kind of shock, if i can tell what i mean) Also when i move my fingers on the top casing while it's charging, i feel a vibration. Is there a problem with the battery? Why is my awesome Mac giving me shock from the edge where magnetic latch is. I don't have any of these problems when i use the battery.

thanks for your answers

cheers

2. LeiQQ macrumors regular

LeiQQ

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Have you tried other power outlets? My sister had the same problem with a computer before. I don't know if she had the same problem that you have now but she had too many things plugged up to a single outlet. After she tried an outlet in another part of the house the problem disappeared. With hers everyone got a shock plugging in or undocking her iPod.

3. samac92 macrumors 6502a

That vibration feeling when you move your fingers isn't anything to do with electricity, its just it vibrating. It does it on mine, and on the back of my iPad.

4. killerrobot, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

It's not grounding properly. If you are using the two-pronged connector (I'm not sure if you're in the US or not, but I mean a non/grounded connector) try using the the three-pronged connector (grounded) while charging and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, try another outlet. If the problem still persists you should take it to Apple to get checked out.

5. ljones macrumors regular

I only notice this "vibration" when I slow move my finger across the surface. THe difference is very noticeable when you compare plugged in and unplugged.

6. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

It has everything to do with electricity. The vibrating sensation is caused by a non-grounded electrical outlet and it's dispersing the electricity to the casing of the computer.

7. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

i live in Turkey and bought the MBP from use, i use only an adapter converter and i am not sure if it's grounded or not but i think it's not grounded.

8. samac92, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

samac92 macrumors 6502a

Maybe we're talking about different things, but I could reproduce it on my Aluminium MacBook even with the battery pulled out.

Edit: Here's an old thread about the same thing happening with an iPad. It does it on my iPad even with the iPad off.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11820948

It makes sense that you can only feel it when you move your finger, because you're causing the case to vibrate. I am not disputing the electric shock feeling to the wrists being a grounding issue however.

9. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7