MBP i7 (2 cores) to i7 (4 cores)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by n8236, Mar 3, 2011.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

There's been a ton of reviews on the MBP, but I wanted to give owners of the previous 3 generations of MBPs to hear it from me because I've owned them all since. But I will primarily focus on mainly the comparison between this and last gen's MBP. Method won't be metrics, but mere observations.

Keyboard:
    How amazing this keyboard feels! WOW! I type a lot and the tactile feel on this thing is just outstanding. The feedback is a little stiffer than the last gen, but w/o being too stiff. Just right, i love it!

Performance:
    Haven't done extensive testing or usage, but from pure "feel," the speed is a tad higher, but what I am amazed about is how smooth everything stays when multi-tasking. It used to be that w/ VM Fusion on, either OSX or Windows had performance lag, but w/ this new MBP, it's much more viable for both OSes to use and transition between.

ThunderBolt:
    I dun have any TB devices, but I do have 3 external HDs which I would luv to ugprade to TB. I currently use my 3 exts for Time Machine, a bootable clone and storage drive. If the speed is what they claim it is, I would be switching to it very soon

2. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Good to hear. OS X loves multiple cores as does pretty much any Unix based system.

I think we'll see TB devices just as soon as they can get them out. Too much money to be made waiting and the storage manufactures could use it.

3. sydenham macrumors regular

Thanks for the review, it was very insightful. I like the way you described the new machine without trying to sensationalise it. I am so tempted to sell my 2010 for the new model. Thunderbolt should be pretty amazing when the peripherals and external hard drives start rolling out. I think this might possibly be the best update in 3 or 4 years.

4. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

I just ordered my quad-core MBP today. I'm also coming from a dual-core i7 MBP and use VMware Fusion extensively. Can't wait to see the performance bump!

5. sydenham macrumors regular

It will be ridiculous when the new Sata 3 SSDs are released. Woohoo.