MBP is not working with external Dell monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by audirs5, Mar 31, 2016.

1. audirs5 macrumors 6502

Hello,

so I have tried everything but the monitor will not connect. Says that my macbook is not sending a signal..

It's a dell monitor so it has that proprietary port.. I have an adapter that connects it to HDMI..

Didn't work..

then I tried VGA to HDMI as well..

Any advice?

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

If your Mac has a Thunderbolt port, then it supports the mini Display Port interface (mDP). All modern Dell displays come with a mDP->DP cable. Use this cable instead of the HDMI cable, if your Dell display supports the Display Port standard.

3. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a Dell E2416H monitor.. It only came with Dell cable, thats it. Nothing else.. I bought the adapter and it won't work. I then connected it to my welkin port and used that to connect to my thunderbolt and it still doesn't work.

So what do I do?

I don't want to buy another cable and it NOT work... Or does this simply just NOT work with HDMI?? I have to connect it to a thunderbolt port? Is that what i'm doing wrong?

4. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone else? I ordered the cable recommended, let's see if it works.

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

You really need to explain a bit better how it is you're connecting the monitor. It doesn't have an HDMI input, only DisplayPort and VGA.

Which machine do you have? Year and screen size?

Also, Dell doesn't have any proprietary ports.

6. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a 13 inch macbook pro form 205.. I tried connecting it DP to HDMI and VGA to HDMI..

Both did not work.. I just now ordered DP to Thunderbolt port to see f that works.

7. JTToft, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016

JTToft macrumors 68040

- I'm guessing you mean HDMI to DP and HDMI to VGA (not the other ways around), since the monitor doesn't have an HDMI input. Your issue is that neither HDMI to DP nor HDMI to VGA is possible in that signal direction (outside of fancy active adaptors), so if you just have simple cables, it's not going to work.

The cable you've ordered is probably Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort, correct? If so, that will work.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:

Just to be clear.

The "thunderbolt" port on the MacBook is ALSO a "minidisplayport".

One port with TWO FUNCTIONS and TWO NAMES.

If the Dell monitor has a displayport on the back, you need a "minidisplayport-to-displayport" cable.
    NOT a "thunderbolt" cable in any shape or form.

Got that?