MBP keeps freezing or locking up. Fan kicks on high and slows macbook pro down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by intelssd, Feb 25, 2012.

1. intelssd macrumors newbie

MBP keeps freezing or locking up. Fan kicks on high and slows macbook pro down

Hi guys. I have had this mid 2010 macbook pro for about a year and its been fine until about 6 weeks ago when that java update was installed it seems. Its a 2.4 core2duo with 4gb 1067 ddr3. 13" Well i had a 5400rpm250gb in her and when the computer froze during a movie on itunes i just about had it. I never had to do a forced shutdown before. So i went ahead and installed a Intel X25-M 160GB SSDSA2M160G2GC SSD.. it had the old firmware so i updated to 2CV102M3. I have turned off the harddrive sleep function in preferences. I have trim enabled too just for fun. I have all the updates installed again and its running 10.6.8

Well still the computer seems to lockup sometimes. I was downloading 1.5gb in itunes (a Breaking Bad show) and it froze. Couldnt do anything. I forced it to shutdown, turned it back on and the fan kicked on high and mouse was moving all choppy.. then i noticed the wifi wasnt up top like normal so airport wasnt even loading im guessing. I could restart, iv cleared the P Ram a few times.. iv installed OS X 4 times now. Iv checked to make sure the drive is verified and permissions are good under Disk Utility. I just dont know what im missing. Iv checked those ground contacts that touch the back cover that are mounted on the motherboard. Iv blown the laptop out and cleaned fan. Iv reset the two sticks of RAM twice. Please advise with any thoughts... im about to check the CPU/heatsink/thermal paste situation if i can take the cpu out and put back in. I just dont know what is causing the issues here. Thanks

2. intelssd thread starter macrumors newbie

Really no one has any other tips or advice to check?

btw im on macbookpro7,1 with bootrom71.0039.B0B and SMC 1.62f6.. the macbook pro seem to be kinda stable the last two days.. will see..

Takes 11 sec to fully start up which is nice but if i get a beach ball served to me anytime soon im going to flip the ***** out.

3. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Did you install OS-X CLEAN or did you restore from a back up etc...?

Did you look at Activity Monitor or Error logs to see what was happening when this occurred?

4. intelssd, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012

intelssd thread starter macrumors newbie

I just put the OS disk in and ran Disk Utility to re partition and then install fresh copy of SL.

I did manage to open Activity Monitor and there was no Process taking up a large % but the "% System" was at like 87.xx and those little charts were full red

edit: just looked under /Library/Logs and seen those.. ill look there next time i have issues and post i guess.

5. intelssd thread starter macrumors newbie

What log do i look at specifically? Under Console, All Messages..?
    There is a few errors.. need to screen shot this.

Kernel no card!
    google.Chrome[178] INFO:breakpad_mac.mm(137)] Breakpad Disabled

com.apple.windowserver[65] <error>: kcgErrorFailure: Set a breapoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

Getting a jag line through the bluetooth symbol up there.. Bluetooth not avaliable

Getting invited to the beach alot here.. my mbp is fond of beach balls

6. intelssd, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

intelssd thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so here is some logs i guess. For some reason it seems like its airport locking or slowing the system down. I really have no idea what the issue is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Sorry, I'm not good with logs, maybe someone else can help with that.

When you look at your Activity Monitor, it will help if you sort by % CPU. The screenshot you posted is sorted by process name, so we can't see what it is that's using so much of the CPU. Also, make sure the drop-down menu at the top is set to All Processes.

8. intelssd thread starter macrumors newbie

There is only 16 processes there so really no reason to sort in this case but your right i didnt have it on All Processes and then there is alot of processes so sorting is a must. Ill try and catch it again.

9. intelssd thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so here it is.. not sure what it means but probably not good lol
    Kernal_task in the root suddenly takes up a huge amount of process, fan kick on full blast then it just so happened to shut off and go back to normal after 8 seconds. This is on a fresh install, no programs running.. the only thing i did was turn computer on and wait for this to happen. I continue getting beachballs and have to hard shutdown. Im starting to think its just this SSD

[​IMG]

----------

Found this
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=492064

Im not sure, well now that i kind know the issue ill keep plugging away.. might wipe the drive and reinstall for the 6th time. Try and fully wipe the drive and re install the GUID partition.