MBP late 2008 - buy the OEM battery or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by toncek, Jan 20, 2014.

1. toncek, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014

toncek macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have MBP unibody 15" late 2008. I have notice that my battery is bulging and I want to replace it before it will blow up and completly destroy my machine.

I live in Europe and I can get the orignal battery from Apple online store for 120 Euro but I have found a lot of offers on ebay. Guys is selling the OEM batteries there. Price is about 50 - 70 USD. It is 1/3 of price of the original one from Apple store..

I am wondering if it is save and if it makes sense to buy OEM battery instead of original one. Does anybody have any experiences with OEM batteries in macbooks?

I just don't want to damage my macbook with not original battery. For me it is enough if it is save to use that battery and if it will be serving at least 1 or 2 years to me.

If there could be some risk I would rather buy the original one but you know, I can save a lot of money with OEM one.

Thanks!

2. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

I'd just get one from Apple - I've heard too many horror stories about batteries causing problems on a variety of devices because someone "got a deal" - it may be a bit more, but you can always go back to Apple with issues, as opposed to a random third party that may or may not support it long-term.