MBP Late 2013 15-inch 2.6 GHz 16GB DDR3 Battery Issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xeugene123x, Jul 26, 2014.

1. xeugene123x, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014

xeugene123x macrumors newbie

I just recently bought a MBP with the following specs: MBP Late 2013 15-inch 2.6 GHz 16GB DDR3

It says that I'm getting 6 hours on a 100 percent charge. It is advertised that it should get a 9 hour battery life. Is there something wrong with my MBP? Should I take it into the apple store to have it checked out?

My Screen is currently at Half and posted is a screenshot for activity monitor.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Battery usage varies by person and their activities and settings. What kind of stuff are you doing? What is your screen brightness like while on battery?

Also, check this out. Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's advertised you should get up to 9 hours, depending on the workload and settings. You're not guaranteed 9 hours. There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the link SandboxGeneral posted for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

4. Sifinity macrumors 6502

Sifinity

if your brightness is on max your not going to get 9 hrs of battery life , or are gaming or etc.

5. xeugene123x thread starter macrumors newbie

my screen is currently at half and i'm just browsing on chrome. That's why i thought it was very strange. I have no other apps open. I'm on activity monitor and it looks like there isn't much going on.

Thanks for the responses!

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Chrome has been known, especially lately, to be a CPU cycle hog which will also drain your battery quicker than using some other browsers.

7. xeugene123x thread starter macrumors newbie

When I got my MBP I was getting around to hours and a half until I did the SMC reset. Afterwards I started getting round five to six, I was just wondering if it was a hardware issue rather than a software issue.

8. 5to1, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014

5to1 macrumors 6502

Kill google chrome and try running safari instead.

I use chrome for some tasks (personal email versus company email accounts, sites I have more then one account on, etc) and have noted running chrome (even having it running in background) significantly impacts battery life. As a test I've tried browsing exactly the same sites using each browser and chrome on mac is definitely a resource hog.

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

Chrome can cause the cpu to overheat for some reason.
    I guess it also sucks battery.

On maximum brightness 6hours is long!
    I don't even get that on my "13.

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Chrome is a massive resource hog and drains your battery.

Safari is way better.

I have a 2.6/16/1TB/750M variant and get 8-9 hours with Safari.

Besides, there's no telling what Google does with your browsing data through Chrome.