Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UNCMo96

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I have a 15inch MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012). It's 7 years old and still going strong. It's pretty zippy for most tasks (web, ms office stuff). Sometimes with media based tasks (lightroom or imovie) it can slow during importing pictures or rendering movies. Most of the time I use it it's for the web/office. However, about once a month I either make a movie or edit photos.

The battery is shot. It's 50/50 whether it can start up w/o being plugged in and only lasts 30 mins off charger.

The new 16 inch mbps are temping. Should I just wait until the laptop dies or buy now? My worry is that one day I will go to turn it on and it's just bricked. I have everything backed up with time machine/backblaze but I'd rather switch computers in an orderly fashion. My last mac before this (first mac I bought) was an iMac which started to get sluggish so I knew it was time for a new one.

drumguy1975

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2009
I'm in a similar situation...kinda. I've got a 13" MacBook Pro from late 2010 that I use seemingly similarly to you, UNCMo96. However, I'm on my 3rd or 4th batter in it's lifespan. Once the new 13" MBPs come out next year with the new keyboard, I'm going to upgrade.

Couldn't you just put in a new battery? It's really easy and takes about 15 minutes. You can buy one for about $100.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I think the batteries in rMBPs are more difficult to replace, but ifixit would know. I have a late 2013 15-MBP, and it still works well. The original battery is not as good, and I will see about Apple replacing it - even if I proceed with a 16-MBP.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I don't see your 2012 "bricking" in the next 5 years
I still use much older laptops
There is a known GPU defect with this specific model, the Mid 2012 15" Retina. Apple had a repair program which included it, but the program is now expired. Mine is exhibiting symptoms. It has occasional kernel panics and black screens so OP should be aware of the issue before the laptop becomes completely unusable or "bricked".

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Don't think there's any reason not to upgrade to the 16" if you need it, a very solid machine that should easily last you another 7 years!

junkw

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Haifa, Israel
There is a known GPU defect with this specific model, the Mid 2012 15" Retina. Apple had a repair program which included it, but the program is now expired. Mine is exhibiting symptoms. It has occasional kernel panics and black screens so OP should be aware of the issue before the laptop becomes completely unusable or "bricked".

I thought it was only the 2011.
OP: buy noowww!!!

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
If you are getting problems with your machine, it's time to replace it. I wish mine would start giving me problems, the 16” is very nice :)

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
See if you can change the battery. Lots of third party batteries on eBay/etc. Even come with the tools.

I have a 16" and am getting less impressed with it as time goes on. Almost certain to be a Cortana ^H^H^H Catalina update coming soon to address some issues.

More importantly the Space Grey version seems prone to scratching. All my older machines look like new, but this machine's scratched after less than two weeks. Not sure if the anodising is inferior to the older machines.

I do love the 64Gb RAM and lots of SSD space. Great for VMs and fast performance. TBH I think it's too similar to the preceding -- utterly awful -- 15" version, so loads of dongles required and fumbling around to try and find the minuscule USBC holes for the power and hub.

Last edited:

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Other than the battery it seems to meet your current needs. Consider a third party battery to extend its life a little longer.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The new 16 inch mbps are temping. Should I just wait until the laptop dies or buy now?

If your current machine fulfils your needs, I'd wait until you are comfortable with. If you are not happy anymore, not much reason not to get a new machine now. As to the longevity... nobody can give you an answer. It is all down to chance. And here the rule of succession applies in all it's glory: the longer your laptop lives, the higher the chance that it will live yet another day :)
[automerge]1575328075[/automerge]
Barring a sudden move to ARM CPUs, the 2019 16” should last a very long time.

Even if Apple switches to AMD next year, why would it change anything? Intel is still faster.

Reactions: jbachandouris

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
If your current machine fulfils your needs, I'd wait until you are comfortable with. If you are not happy anymore, not much reason not to get a new machine now. As to the longevity... nobody can give you an answer. It is all down to chance. And here the rule of succession applies in all it's glory: the longer your laptop lives, the higher the chance that it will live yet another day :)
[automerge]1575328075[/automerge]

Even if Apple switches to AMD next year, why would it change anything? Intel is still faster.

currently Intel is faster on mobile platform but this can change in the next year with new Ryzen 7nm mobile

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
I’d recommend you replace your battery and wait until you really need a new computer rather than buying one just because you want it. There is an argument to be made, I think, that waiting to buy until you need a new computer will give you the most computer for the dollar, ceteris paribus.

Joe

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Keep using your rMBP. Editing video once a month is not really an argument to spend $2400 in my opinion. If you replace the battery it could last another 2-3 years.
I'm also on a mid-2014 rMBP 15" and have zero thoughts of upgrading, although my battery is still going strong (92% of original capacity).

Reactions: Successful Sorcerer

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Not sure if using it for the "web/office" meant MS Office, or for the OP's work.

But if that computer is essential for work, I wouldn't wait. Unless your work doesn't matter much and is optional.

And I'm curious: would Apple eat the tariffs for US buyers if the Easy to Win Trade War extends into 2020? or pass on the costs?

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
I'm still pushing out fantastic work with my 2013 Macbook Pro but have been enticed by the new 16-inch MBP. The two little issues I have with it are:
1. It doesn't support Wi-Fi 6
2. The front camera is still 720p
3. A Redesign is needed and is inevitable

These are minor and I would say #2 isn't important at all but it's something that should have been taken care of this round. My current set-up will do until next years offerings. I'm ok with that :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.