MBP Logic Card died, easiest way of transferring HDD to new laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Acidtripped, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Acidtripped macrumors newbie

So as the title says, my MBP logic card died and the costs of buying it, labor, blah blah came out to a stupidly large amount and I bought a new MBP instead. The question is, what choices do I have to transfer the contents of the old HDD to my new laptop?

I tried using target mode (which I did the first time I replaced laptops!), but I guess the logic board being dead ruined that idea, because it didn't work!

I've been researching on the subject and I've come to the idea of buying a dock or enclosure for my old HDD and grabbing my data off of it that way. Also, my friend offered his old MBP as a test subject, in that we could remove his HDD, plug mine in, and then just Firewire what I need over.

Anything other than the two options I've come across? Any help at all would be appreciated!

2. animaxcg macrumors regular

what version of the MBP is it? it would be easyest to take out the hard drive and put it in a external HD case. if it still powers on you might be able to put it in target disc mode(hold the "T" button) and connect a firewire cable to another mac. good luck

P.S. here are some direction on removing a hard drive http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac