MBP loses more than half of its battery capacity at 200 cycles

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by honam1021, Jun 15, 2017.

1. honam1021 macrumors regular

Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 00.24.47.png

I had the keyboard replaced by a third party (LCIs on motherboard/battery aren't tripped) two months ago for a drink spill, I know I should avoid third party repairs but the nearby Apple Store was hours away and I needed to get my MacBook working again real quick. Can I still pay Apple for an out of warranty battery replacement in this case?

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

You'll have to call Apple about that one as it'll come down to discretion.

Technically you've voided the warranty so they have every right to refuse. But as long as you don't go screaming at the CSR they may be able to do something for you. A lot will depend on the third party you've used.

3. honam1021 thread starter macrumors regular

It's already out of warranty by a year and half by the time I took it to that third party. What about flat rate repairs?

4. chscag macrumors 68000

Yes, for an out of warranty replacement. (As long as Apple still stocks the battery for your MacBook Pro.)

5. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Ah sorry read that as 2016 until I zoomed in. Again your best bet is to call Apple and just explain your situation. Apple aren't generally stingy or mean with these things.

6. leman macrumors 604

If you are out of warranty, I don't think they will fix it free of charge. But asking never hurts. Your battery behavior is clearly abnormal, but then again, anything can happen after a drink spill :)

7. magbarn macrumors 68000

Did you use coconut battery or other similar app to keep a tab on the serial number on your original battery prior to 'repair?' I have a sneaking suspicion that your 3rd party used a non-OEM keyboard/case/battery swap and is now using an inferior 3rd party battery. Unless your spill also damaged the battery somehow.