Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
So after 3 retina macbook pro with screen problems I'd like to get some feedback on the big differences between regular MBP with glass and the antiglare option because I'm going to buy a regular MBP.

What is better? I'm not fond of lots of glare. But I hear the antiglare is a little more washed out in terms of colors.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
So after 3 retina macbook pro with screen problems I'd like to get some feedback on the big differences between regular MBP with glass and the antiglare option because I'm going to buy a regular MBP.

What is better? I'm not fond of lots of glare. But I hear the antiglare is a little more washed out in terms of colors.

The anti glare is washed out in comparison yes. I found this quite noticeable when switching from a 13" MBP to a 15" Anti-glare.

Its still a great screen, but I also found the horrible silver bezel didnt help either. It just looks and feels incredibly cheap and nasty.

Basically you have the choice between a much better looking screen, but with huge amounts of glare vs no glare but washed out colours.

In the end I dont think I could go back to the 13" because of the glare, its that bad, but thats just preference. Even though the rMBP is still glossy, I found the glare to be non-existent.

Like you though however, I don't own a rMBP either thanks to the screen issues.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Yea I like the glossy myself because I find the colors/contrast more vibrant/radiant.

I owned a 2011 High-Res AG and I loved it, but the AG is washed out imo. Even with glare, I prefer the glossy now.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Notebook displays in general aren't that great. Assuming you get a good one, the rMBP might be an exception there, however I haven't really tested every point of one. I mean I don't know how shadow detail is or how it reproduces weird color combinations (like can it properly represent purple at least within the scope of what is possible with an sRGB display)? The other thing that would be interesting is to know how well it will age. Displays do not necessarily look the same a year later. Right now it's still too new to tell.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
The glossy screen has more accurate colours and much more accurate shadow detail. The matte screen is somewhat usable with a window behind you.

If you're doing anything critical, you won't be doing it with a window behind you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.