MBP or MB? now and in the near future (hopefully next month)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mpb2000, Sep 11, 2008.

1. mpb2000 macrumors regular

So, I, as well as a lot of people I'm sure, am trying to decide between the macbook and macbook pro. At first I was MBP all the way, but when I went into the apple store the other day just to play around, I found the 13.3" screen wasn't that small.

Here's how I would be using the laptop: music, photos, video, and editing all of them to some degree. For music, iTunes and Garage Band would be my main applications. I wouldn't be doing anything fancy with garage band. Just plugging in an electric piano and recording from the line input. For photos, I would say I am sort of at the intermediate point in terms of editing. iPhoto won't cut it, but Photoshop is too much for me. I would use Aperture, but it's too expensive, so I'd probably continue using Photoshop Elements. For video, iMovie would suffice for my video editing. I wouldn't be doing anything fancy there, just importing and cutting and pasting different clips. I don't see myself using Final Cut or anything like that. I also wouldn't be using the laptop for any gaming at all. As far as monitor size, I have a 22" LCD that I would use if I was doing anything serious at my desk.

So, I would either go with the 2.4 GHz MBP with 4 GB of RAM or the 2.4 GHz MB with 4 GB of RAM. There are certainly a few perks the MBP has over the MB, like the better trackpad, backlit keyboard, etc but the main thing is the graphics card. Obviously, the MBP has the advantage there with the separate NVIDIA graphics card, but the big question is will it make a difference for what I want to do with the laptop?

This could change if we see new MBP and MB at some point. I'm not in a hurry to buy, so I will definitely be waiting, but I'm still curious to see if the current macbook would be able to handle my needs. And what if I decided to do anything beyond what I described? Am I better off going with the MBP? The difference in price is ~$550 so, that certainly factors into the equation as well.

2. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I get far more use and enjoyment out of my MBP then I did my MB - and I really enjoyed and used my MB.

My MB lasted me a year before I outgrew it. I expect to get the full 3 years out of my MBP.

3. antmo macrumors member

i tell anyone who is buying their only/main machine and is not planning to replace it within 18 months, to get the most powerful machine you can afford which also meets your other needs (size, operating system, asthetics/style, etc...) in your case, i'd definitely get the mbp and seriously think about getting the 2.5 from apple.com refurbished...

mjb

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

5. mpb2000 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll have to see what happens with the updates. I don't upgrade my computers often. I'm currently using a desktop PC that I've had for 6 or 7 years. Those 512 MB of RAM and 32 MB graphics card don't exactly make things fly, but I get by. This would be my only computer, and first mac, and I definitely would want to be able to keep it as long as possible (at least 5 years or so), so I don't want it to become obsolete quickly. Yeah, I'm the kind of person who doesn't buy a car until my current one becomes too expensive to repair, no matter how old it is. So, since my current PC is still running, I may not even be able to make myself spend the money on the mac, but at least I'll have done my research when the time comes to put the PC to rest.

6. antmo macrumors member

no, you're right, it doesn't really matter...

my advice is more targeted at people like me...i personally have a bad habit of trying to save money by getting only what i need and then regretting it and upgrading at a loss later on...

mjb

7. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Based on what your requirements are go for the MB and use the money you'll save to get the software you'll need to edit the photos. How much is Aperature that its beyond your price range? If you can wait the next MB will be smokin.'

Its easy to get caught up in features (that you don't necessarily need) when it comes to computers. I'm getting the MBP myself but thats because I use it for professional audio applications. The backlit kybrd is sweet as hell but put your software as an equal priority. The MB will easily meet your needs & serve you well.

8. mpb2000 thread starter macrumors regular

I can definitely wait for the next round of MB and MBP, so no problem there. Aperture costs $160 and Photoshop Elements costs $70 (both prices from amazon). So far, I've been fine with Elements, so I don't know if I would need to spend the extra $90. I'll have to compare the programs more. Any thoughts on Aperture anyone?