MBP Out of Warranty, Battery swollen.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by InkMaster, Mar 2, 2009.

1. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, quick emergency question for all of you. Today I woke up to find that the battery in my MBP swollen to the point where it actually lifts the MBP in the air.

My problem is that this MBP isn't under AppleCare atm. Will the replacement battery be free or will I have to pay for it? Anyone had such experience?

Thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd take it in nonetheless. You would think they'd rather replace the battery then have it perhaps explode. :eek:

3. InkMaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, thats what I was thinking also, but just wanted to know if anyone else had such experiences yet (with Apple replacing batteries which were out of warranty).

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Support has told me that the batteries have an independent warranty from AppleCare, if you have the 3 year kind, but they've seemed more than happy to replace it. Then again I was working education at the time.

5. InkMaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well...

Just came back from my local Apple Store... got rejected.

As they say the battery is "used up"

If anyone cares, these are the specs on my battery atm

Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 2502
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 4145
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 303
    Condition: Good
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -2177
    Voltage (mV): 10833

And iStat reports 66% health.

6. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

Yep .. the battery replacement doesnt come under the macbook pro warranty.. u'd better detach the battery immediately from the mbp and take it over to an apple store.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm surprised they didn't replace a bulging battery. Is it just no longer flush with the case or is the packaging separating?

8. InkMaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Both

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And they want a 100 for a replacement :(

Makes my MBP wobble around the desk like an iPhone 3G/Touch G2

9. rafatmit macrumors newbie

I would try again with a different Apple store or calling Apple. This strikes me as a safety issue.

10. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

Try calling Apple.

I had a student come up to me with an identical problem. I don't know if she had apple care or not.

She called the 800 Apple Care number and they swapped it no questions asked.

When did you buy your Macbook Pro? It might be part of that bad batch of batteries during the recall awhile ago. That girl I ended up helping bought hers during the recall time, but had no problems up until a week ago.

11. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

To me, what they said at the the store to you is a load of b*£&$%^$ lol

So when a battery gets "used up" is expands? LOL :rolleyes: Keep pressuring Apple, this is something they shouldn't be getting away with. Just keep escalating it till you get results...

Also - if you haven't already, don't run the MBP off the battery if you can for the time being. Better being safe than sorry. MBP's are perfectly capable of running with the power cable attached and no battery installed. Just be very carefull you don't know the magsafe connection - thankfully it's quite strong. Inconvenient, but better than the battery exploding and taking out your whole laptop with it...

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd give this a try and check the battery recall as well.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yep, that's what I'd do. Try a different Apple store, or try phoning Apple themselves. Tell them that this is not just a massive cosmetic issue, it's also a safety issue. This can't be normal, or safe.

14. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

You failed to tell us exactly how old the battery is and how many cycles are on it. If the "Genius" chose not to replace it, it is best to call Apple and see if they will replace it. From what I have read Apple will replace it if it is under 80% of capacity and 300 cycles.