mbp out of warranty. many problems - check out photos of battery

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by offwidafairies, Sep 28, 2009.

1. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

this is what my battery looks like. i didnt do anything to it. didnt drop it or bump it or put it through any extreme weather conditions. WTF?

also, the audio out is dirty - sounds crackly - ive tried blowing into it to 'clean' it out.

ive replaced the hdd.

there is a HAIR behind the screen, along with a few bits of dirt???? see photo

the spacebar gets stuck pretty often.

and the cpu sometimes works overtime when there is nothing going on...

this computer is only 2years old. its a 17" with matte screen and 4Gb ram and it originally had a 7200rpm hdd. i paid over $4000 for it. pretty annoyed it has only lasted this long. :mad:

and i forgot to mention the superdrive hasnt burnt in a looooong time

Attached Files:

2. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

and to think that for $250 it would have still been under warranty.....

I guess get applecare next time.

on the flip side, you can get far superior technology for $1500 less than you paid back then for a new one....

its hard to contemplate how much better theyre designed now..

3. offwidafairies thread starter macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

i didnt get apple care coz i was moving overseas and it was only covered for the country you buy apple care in. now im back in australia for a while i will be getting apple care. royal pain in the ass.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can only buy AppleCare during the first year of ownership, while it is still covered by warranty.

If you take the battery to an Apple Store, you may be able to convince them to replace it for you, even out of warranty. It's a pretty common manufacturer's defect.

5. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Applecare covers you worldwide by the way.

The battery has a bad cell in it that has failed and expanded. While apple does not manufacture batteries they may replace it for you. I wouldn't necessarily say it's a common manufacturer's defect though.