MBP Penryn - Not Yellow but faded/discolored bottom/top 1/3 screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Slov, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Slov macrumors newbie

I returned two MBPs (glossy & matte) back in June 2007 because of the yellowing issue. I figured I'd wait a while in hopes that the issue would be resolved.

Well, I just bought a new 15.4 MBP Penryn (matte, 9c81). I don't notice a yellow tint, however I do notice the bottom third of the screen is slightly washed out or even darker (when viewing whites). This is my third MBP and I'm pretty much sure no matter how many times i return it i'll be stuck with the same situation. So I'll probably end up keeping it.

I'm just curious if others experience this (non-yellow) and are satisfied. Is it pretty much unavoidable?

You can really tell by say moving the yellow sticky note pad thing in dashboard over the bottom and top portions of the screen. This was the basic test I used. Or if you even use the white portion of say the dictionary widget, you can see that it's darker on the bottom. Is this backlight bleed?

Now I'm thinking it might be the viewing angle. If I do the same test but this time change my viewpoint I see a different result. If I put the yellow notepad on the bottom third of the screen but this time lower my viewpoint position (like head on with the bottom third of the screen) it still looks vibrant like the middle of the screen.

Basically, I just want to know if others have this problem. Is it a defect, is it backlight bleeding, is it common?

Thanks and sorry if this post doesn't flow too well, it's late and I'm sleep deprived.

2. slackero macrumors newbie

I have the same "defect" (2.5GHz matte, 9c81). I cannot find the optimal viewing angle that gives me a stable view - from left to right or top to bottom - always darker areas on screen. And also the screen is much too bright with too little contrast.

It's unbelievable - had the same in June 2007. The display (matte) is crap. My MacBook (Santa Rosa 2.2) has a much better display.

OK, I will continue using the MacBook until Apple will use better displays - the MBP will be returned to Apple.

I think it is common.

3. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Damn just noticed it, same problem, bleeding bottom ****! :mad: (2.5GHz matte, 9c82), black columns 2 inches high on the bottom of the screen every .5"... this is unacceptable to say the least.

Man and I was just getting so excited about OSX leaving windows life in the dust.
    And it wasnt there in the beginning, only after good 20 or so hours of work it happened.

4. PDE macrumors 68020

I have the 9c81 LG too and don't have that defect. There is bleeding both at top and bottom but that is only noticeable when the entire screen is black. I tried the stickies test and cannot see any difference no matter where I drag or put it on the screen. Same thing with whites.

I have a friend with a LG 9c67 where the lower part is darker/dimmer than the rest, resulting in the those areas display kind of murky whites compared to the crisp ones above that lower 1/4.

It seems it's all just a matter of luck which displays are good and has little to do with the brand/model of display. Crazy that Apple hasn't sorted this out yet.

5. forrest368 macrumors member

I just got my new MBP and noticed the same fade out at the bottom. BUT, I don't know why you have a problem with it. The issue only occurs at certain viewing angles... If you look at the screen head-on it's PERFECT. Any screen will look different depending on what angle you look from.

In short, I think this "defect" is NOT a "defect", and it does not bother me at all.

Don't worry so much.... I feel like everyone is so concerned with pointing out every little flaw in their new MBP... now your just scraping the bottom trying to find something wrong, AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG!

6. rmarinheira macrumors member

Been using LCD displays for 7 or 8 years and that is not a hardware fail!

That's a common isso due to viewing angle limitation on current LCD technology.

This is most noticeable on laptops since the display is in lower position than desktop displays.

The yellowing is a real issue, this is common to LCD!

Whatever position you choose, you end up with some part of screen with a worse appearance

7. teazen macrumors newbie

It is because Apple uses low-cost 18bits TN LCD panel on this "high-end" laptop. You spent the hudge money to buy a poor view-angle and color blinding laptop. You can use google with the key words "macbook pro panel 6 bit", and will find the fact.:cool:

8. jadirusso macrumors newbie

I noticed this same thing last night on my new MBP. I rebooted and it seems to have gone away and hasn't come back yet. Is it possible that it happens after having the MBP on for a while?

9. PDE macrumors 68020

ALL laptop displays as of today are 6 bit rather than 8 bit and ALL laptop displays today are TN panels. Thinkpads had an option to have a IPS display for a bit, but they discontinued it for some reason. Sorry, those are the facts that we have to accept - just check the main manufacturers (LG, Samsung, AUO etc) to see if you can find any notebook displays that are full 8 bit and non-TN. You can't.

10. PDE macrumors 68020

This issue has nothing to do with viewing angles. It is uneven illumination of the display where one part is less illuminated than another. Go to http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Apple-MacBook-Pro-15-Notebook-Santa-Rosa.4227.0.html where they measure the display brightness in 9 different areas and average it out. They do this with all their reviews of notebook LCDs and what becomes apparent is that all LCDs have a certain degree of uneven backlighting, though some are much worse than others. The MBP they reviewed was pretty average in this regard.

The penryn MBP with 9c81 display I'm working on is very evenly illuminated and there are no areas that are clearly lighter or darker, except for bleeding around the edges (top and bottom) when viewing DVDs in a dark room. In daylight and regular use all parts of the display look equally good. The viewing angles from above is not great which means that if you are very tall and look down at the display, there will be some distortion of contrast and color - but that's different from the issue described, where part is darker when looked straight on.

11. Slov thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand this could be perceived as being overly picky and not practical, but I'm just wondering how widespread this is. Like I said, I've returned two previous (2007) MBPs and now this one has a similar issue. I'm most likely going to keep this one because the odds of receiving one without this problem seem slim to none with my track record. I'm not addressing this to bash apple or worry others (despite its likliness).

I just want some clarity as to whether this is acceptable with a laptop panel. The perplexing issue here is, if it truly was backlight bleeding, would it not consistently have the washed out color? For example, when I actually bend my head down and look straight on at the lower third of the screen, the colors are just as vibrant as when I'm looking head on at the center of the screen. The same can be said for the top of the screen. When i stand up slightly (not completely) just to raise my head and look down at the screen, the top is washed out as well (this is all using the yellow sticky pad widget as a reference).

Again, none of these viewing angles are practical in day to day use (I understand this), but I'm just using it as a reference point. When I'm sitting straight and typing on the computer, the fact that i'm above the lower third of the screen causes things to look fairly washed out (not just the yellow notepad originally referenced, but actual images on the screen).

PDE- I noticed you mentioned you don't have this issue. Are you 100% sure? I just found it odd that I've bought three MBPs from different locations(1 being shipped and 2 being store bought) and all have this problem (2 samsung and 1 LG). I understand this possibly answers my own question, that it is in fact widespread, but I still want to hear others experiences on a broader scale.

FYI- I've also calibrated and used several different color profiels from this board.

Thanks!

12. timimbo85 macrumors regular

timimbo85

I like many have this issue. I am going to go into apple today and see what they have to say about it. I noticed it yesterday and thought that maybe i caused it....Bending the monitor alittle farther than normal... Its not too bad, and maybe i am the only one that notices it , but im picky , and if your spending that kind of money we deserve only the best.

13. skiffx macrumors 6502a

yeah thats what Im starting to think, after my monitor was off for several hours when I went to sleep the problem went away. But now it will piss me off everytime it will reappear.

14. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I actually learned about this in my communication class. If people look for the negative, they WILL find it. I agree with your post, people are so lucky to even have a MBP, so why not just enjoy it?

15. Slov thread starter macrumors newbie

Why should anyone be satisfied with something that doesn't meet their expectations? Like I said previously, I'll probalby keep it because overall, the pros still outweigh the cons.

Also, how can you disprove a fact such as the screen actually being discolored? Yes, I looked for it, only after I noticed an issue with normal viewing. I then took it upon myself to confirm the issue I noticed by doing a little test. I absolutely would have noticed the fading regardless of the fact that I read this forum. I may have not gone to the length of performing these tests had I not been privy to all the issues surrounding these panels. That doesn't mean I wouldn't have noticed it in the first place.

I'm very particular and detail oriented. It could be borderline ocd, however, it is what it is.

16. timimbo85 macrumors regular

timimbo85

I am lucky to have a MBP but when my hard ass work dollar went to pay for it...IN FULL.. I want and deserve the best quality.

17. Slov thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you end up going to the Apple store? If so, what did they tell you? Did you get it replaced?

18. teazen macrumors newbie

This laptop is named macbook “Pro”. It means user can use the laptop as professional application. Can this kind of panel quality be used as professional color application?

19. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

This bleeding is pretty common, i had a 2.5 Penryn and returned it because i had this and the slight bleeding on the bottom almost made it look slightly yellow, but i have the same thing on my new MBP (same panel) overall im not really bothered by it that much anymore, im not going to put myself through the stress of thinking "theres something wrong with my $2500 computer" thinking that way just messes with your mind lol.

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

No such issues here on my 2.4ghz SR mbp in matte, perfect lcd, no yellowing and vibrant colors!!

21. timimbo85 macrumors regular

timimbo85

Hello, I have an apt at 12 today. I went in yesterday and told them the issue, they were understanding and just said we will wait to see what the tech guys say. If they try and tell me they have to send it in, I am just going to exchange it for a new one. It is a week old today. I noticed last night, while playing a dvd, that the picture was not clear at all. the move was se7en, the type was just rough around the edges. I will keep u posted.

22. timimbo85 macrumors regular

timimbo85

Ok I went into Apple and showed them the issue. They gave me a new one!!!. I was alittle anxious so I set it up at work. Turned it on, screen looks great. There was actually a tiny black line on the top of the screen. I was a bit worried but the task bar does a damn good job covering it up. So its fine, corners are great picture looks great. . So I am happy.

23. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

i think its a lot deeper situation then just looking for negatives or the like.

its people who want to make sure they invested in something that doesnt have apparent issues out of the box. looking for them wont make them happen theyre either there or not.

like when i unloaded on a ACD 30" last month i wanted make sure it was evenly lit, no dead/stuck pixels and everything was tip top.

did the same with my MBP, everything turned out OKAY.

24. Slov thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, that's good to hear. I'm still contemplating if it's worth sending mine back in (BTO) and playing the lottery.