MBP (Previous Generation) with External Monitor (24") Suggestions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hatchet, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Hatchet macrumors regular

I just purchased a clearance MBP Previous Generation 2.5GHZ. I am looking at using this laptop as a replacement for my 24" iMac and was looking for external monitor suggestions.

I've read some threads about people having issues with Dell 24" monitors in regards to text clarity, etc. Does anyone have this setup and can confirm that the image is clear at 1900x1200 resolution? Particularly the new Ultrasharp 2408.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks :)

2. uprisingpure macrumors newbie

I approve of the monitor

I have a Dell 2408WFP and it worked great with my Penryn Macbook Pro. It was always extremely sharp and clear; the only issues I had was with color representation but I just changed some settings on the display and all was well. I don't really need a display that big anymore so if you are in the market you can make me an offer since it's only 2 months old :D

3. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

I would pick up the dell 2408 from the dell outlet.

4. Hatchet thread starter macrumors regular

Are dell refurbished products as good as Apple refurbished? I am not familiar with their process.

5. uprisingpure macrumors newbie

Refurbished

I have had good experiences in the past with Dell Refurb equipment but I tend to buy the new stuff or find it on ebay from a reputable seller just so that I can actually see the one that I will be getting beforehand. But that may just be my ADD nature or everything having to be flawless when I get it....

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I bought a refurb dell 2405 a few years ago and it is great. I have a Dell at home and Dell at work and the displays have always been crystal clear when using the DVI connection.

You just have to make sure you are buying the right model. I got a 2407 at work and it had a really crappy screen with very narrow viewing angle. It was unusable for design work. Turns out that there was a 2407 HC model that is what I was expecting. The regular 2407 is a budget model. I'm not sure if Dell is still selling low and high end versions of the same displays, but just be careful.

7. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

If you liked the iMac display then why not the 23" ACD? You can buy a used one in nice condition for <$600. I bought my 1-year old ACD in new condition for $540 shipped off eBay, box and everything.

I have a 2405 at work and when considering the 2408 for home use I came across this -

http://monitortest.blogspot.com/

I ran through the pictures in this review on my work machine and yikes, the disadvantages of PVA are clear. And as expected the S-IPS ACD performs admirably.

8. Hatchet thread starter macrumors regular

Aren't the 23" ACD really outdated? They are $799 in the Apple store compared to $600 for the Dell 2408.

The main thing I am concerned with is crisp & clear viewing as I will do most of my design on the display.

Also, from what I gathered from that review he recommended the display. :confused:

9. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

He recommended it from a value standpoint (price/quality - the Apple monitor is not in the same segment). The drawbacks are many, esp note the detail missing from many of the photos and color shifting issues.

It's basically down to the tech. The Dell is S-PVA. The ACD is S-IPS. The Dell is a more modern panel, true, but it is still held back by its basic tech. You can google this for more info (and go over the review), but an IPS display is going to be superior in detail and color accuracy/shifting issues. The PVA will hold an advantage in video, games, TV with its faster response.

IPS is a costlier technology.

10. Hatchet thread starter macrumors regular

Is this technology carried over to the new 24" ACD?

Even refurbished, the displays are $749.

11. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Hey, I paid $540 shipped for a used one. I guess it's up to you how much money/risk you're willing to put up with. Looking for one on Craigslist might not be a bad idea.

IPS panels are pricy, they are typically not meant for consumer use. I believe most of the ACDs competitors (23/24" IPS panels intended for professional design work - arguably now surpassing the ACD) still north of $1k.

I don't know about the 24" LED model that just came out. It would be a great price for an LED IPS display. I don't believe there's currently a way you can drive the mini display port with your DVI out from the early 2k8 MBP.

12. Jtuner77 macrumors regular

I also just bought 2 2408WFP's for my New Mac Pro, I will be using them for my webstore, webdesign, PS and Video Editing for my business.....I heard good things, found out about the outlet and said I will take a crack at them.

We shall see how they are. I told they ship Friday, hoping from Ohio so I would have them in a day!!!

I will let you guys know.

13. MikeBrWade macrumors member

I use a 26" LCD and it is great. Especially for development.

14. Hatchet thread starter macrumors regular

If you could do me a favor and let me know how the text rendering is (clarity, smoothing) I would appreciate it.

I had used a 2407WFP-HC before and had some issues with that and it strained my eyes.

Right now I think I'm leaning towards the ACD because of clarity. I am interested to see what you report.

Thanks!

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have a 20" ViewSonic that has a max 1680x1050 res and has worked pretty darn well for a couple of years. I know they make plenty of 24" models, and I'm sure I have seen them for $399 at times. You just have to shop around.

I still don't think these ACDs are worth near as much as they cost. We have an older one at work, and the only bonus is the power button that controls the Power Mac G5. OOOHHHH. The new ACDs at least use LED, can go up to the higher resolution and charges the notebooks. Still, that's a lot for twice the price.

16. ghettochild macrumors regular

I use my Penryn MBP with a 23" ACD. Love it, no complaints.

17. Hatchet thread starter macrumors regular

Do you use it as a second monitor or as your primary? Do you use your MBP in clam shell mode ever and does it effect heat dissipation?

18. ghettochild macrumors regular

The ACD is my primary monitor, I use the MBP for extra screen estate. I don't use it in clamshell mode- why waste additional screen estate?

[​IMG]

19. Hatchet thread starter macrumors regular

Wow! Nice setup! What kind of stand is that for the MBP? In order to use the keyboard and mouse, do I just plug it into the monitor and hook up the usb ports from there? or are they using bluetooth?

20. ghettochild macrumors regular

Thanks. The stand is an iCurve from Griffin. They no longer manufacture this model, it's now called elevator AFAIK. The keyboard is BT and the Logitech MX Revolution uses a dongle that is plugged into the USB hub to the right of the picture.

21. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You may be unable to use it , since its mini-displayport input.
    Unless there is dvi to mini-display port available. If so you may be able to use it.

22. Hatchet thread starter macrumors regular

An Update:

I decided to go and get the 23" ACD. It is absolutely stunning. I know it hasn't been updated in a while but I had doubts about getting a dell that was using calibrated to work with windows and I had had one in the past that didn't have the crisp text and images as I need.

The only issue I am having right now is matching the calibration between my ACD and my MBP.

The ACD is absolutely beautiful but my MBP is a little more washed out.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should calibrate the 2 monitors to get them to match? I selected the ACD display profile on my MBP and it doesn't look at all near the ACD's HD profile.

I took a look at getting Huey PRO calibrator today but I'd rather not have to drop $129.95 for a calibration device.

Thanks in advance! Ghettochild, if you have calibrated, what did you use?