MBP Processors…. 2.66 GHz or 2.8GHz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pak^Man, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Hi all,

I will be buying a MBP 15” (Refurb) in the future. The configurations I am considering have either a 2.66GHz processor or a 2.8 GHz.

Now I know the 2.8 is faster and better (>0.14GHz), but they are also much more expensive. The MHz alone would mean +5% in processing power.

But what really concerns me is the fact that the 2.66 has a 3MB L2 Cache, while 2.8 has 6MB. I also understand that L2 caches in C2D have a significant impact on performance. The question is how much? :confused:

I’m know enough here to make me dangerous, but I can definitely use the help from those of you who are more knowledgeable.

Please help me understand just how much more power am I getting with a 2.8 MBO vs. a 2.66 MBP (if otherwise identical).

While I would like to get the best machine I can, I don’t want to pay too much for just an incremental 3-8% benefit, just to have bragging rights. Knowing how much better will give me an idea of how much extra I should be willing to pay (cost vs. benefits :D )

Can someone help me????

2. Pak^Man thread starter macrumors regular

OOOPS.... I meant GHz, not MHz. Corrected!

Anyone? :D

3. sleyeu macrumors 6502

*cough* your welcome
    :apple:

4. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

What is it that you will be doing on it? Unless you aredoing intense CAD work or video editing i will say the 2.66 [​IMG] save your money, you'll be happy with it

5. Pak^Man thread starter macrumors regular

No video editing, but lots of ripping/encoding of DVDs..... some games (Red Alert 3), average home user stuff.

Oh yeah, I'm thinking of taking up photography, and some Photoshop Elements kind of stuff.

What about these tasks?

6. Pak^Man thread starter macrumors regular

Thank You (?)..... allergies?? :D

Would you say that assessment applies to ripping and encoding?

Thanks, in advance this time.

7. sleyeu macrumors 6502

well i think so as it said audio/video encoding but i dunno. also think of the resale value or future proofing.

Ohyeah, i just had a tought, if you are burning CDs/DVDs all your going to need is a good cd burner = super drive

also, depends if you are making the audio/video for these CDs. if your not making the data, then i think you dont need it.

On the other hand... you could save yourself £250 to buy software/games/next mac

Nah, not an allergy i just had to put in a cough :)

8. Pak^Man thread starter macrumors regular

No, not much burning.... just ripping. And given that all MBP come standard with Superdrives, I think I'm in good shape.

Well, unless I can find a compelling reason to go bump up the processor, I might save the $$$.... I'm sure I can live without the 0.14GHz.

Thanks for your help.

Which one did you end up getting?

9. sleyeu macrumors 6502

i would get the 2.8 if my wallet allowed but im gonna get the 2.66 (i really want that 512mb gpu)

however im waiting for the next mbp update. maybe the equivalent to the 2.66 (mid range 15" i think)

Maybe it will have the 6mb cache >:/

who knows... but maybe the 2.8 now will be the 2.66 for the next mbps, if that makes sense