MBP Retina 13" (2015) or ReFurb MBP Retina 13" (2014)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by turtlemac, Jun 16, 2015.

1. turtlemac macrumors newbie

so I'm about to buy a new MBP retina 256gb 13" for college but I chanced upon a refurb MBP in my local Apple Store online for the same price as a new MBP retina 256gb 13" model.

The refurb one is a July 2014 13" model which comes with 512gb of storage.

Was wondering if the force touch pad is worth it and whether the speed differences matter as well as the upgrade to Intel iris 6100 as opposed to Intel iris 5100 is noticeable?

Also is 256gb enough?

Do you guys think I should get the refurb or the new 2015 model

2. Studflower macrumors member

256gb is just enough to bootcamp windows comfortably, but more is always better.

force touch + 6100 (20% performance upgrade vs 5100) + 1hr battery life + faster SSD (although this is honestly negligible)

I'd go with a new one.

3. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

It also depend if you need more space, I ran out of space on my MacBook Pro in elementary school with 256GB. I got a 512 retina one now and got 100GB left. It also depends if you like the new trackpad the force touch one.

I'd personally go for the refurbished one. And still has the 1 Year warranty. But if you want to stay up to date. Then go for the new 2015 model.

I think you need the space, more then the latest.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The performance bump is unlikely to make any difference for college work but space is always useful. Unless you are doing some gaming the graphics won't make much difference (and even then it's only a few frames a second).

basically it's going to be a choice between space and newness.

Also I am assuming that you are getting an education discount, if not, see if you can, that'll put the new one on about the same price as a refurb....

5. newellj macrumors 601

I sold a late 2013 to get all the hardware upgrades of the 2015 model, but I also upgraded to 512gb. I think the new trackpad is an amazing improvement - I no longer feel I need to carry a mouse around. Whether it is all worth the cost for you is a different question.