MBP Retina Display 15" got very hot in the bag

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Feb 26, 2013.

1. hajime, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013

hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I bought the rMBP 15" 3 months ago. Yesterday, while on the train I felt warm in the laptop bag when I tried to take my phone out from the pocket. Thirty minutes later when I arrived home and took out my laptop, the rMBP was very hot. It was so hot that I could not use it. I could get burned placing my hands on the speaker. The Speck case became soft. It was really scary. I turned off the laptop immediately and the issue disappeared. Anybody knows what was going on? Is that a sign that the battery is failing?

2. MacKid macrumors 6502

Your computer woke up from sleep while in your bag. Because of the lack of airflow, and the fact that the computer was running, it got unnaturally hot.

3. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

exact same deal happened to me but while the computer was on my desk plugged in to the charger. power nap was off and the bottom near the screen hinge was un touchable it was so hot.

was brand new... apple swapped it out

4. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

When transporting laptops I always make sure the device is completely turned off in order to make sure that this exact problem does not happen.

You're lucky your device wasn't damaged -- very scary situation.

5. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Well even if it did get hot to that point don't the intel chips have a thing so that it'll automatically turn off to prevent damage?

6. dma550 macrumors 6502

yeah, mine woke up like this too, I normally just sleep the machine. Luckily I normally drive just 20 mins home.

7. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Clearly in this case, no. If the device was too hot to touch and that it could have burned the OP, it did obviously not shut off as it should have.

8. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

It dose though if the internal temps reach a certain temp it'll shut off. I've had my previous intel Macbook shutoff on me due to how hot it was. They get really really hot before shutdown. So while it was hot to OP it wasn't hot enough for the chip to shut itself down.

Either way OP should ensure that the machine is shutdown/has entered sleep properly.

9. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

When I booted into Windows under Bootcamp, Windows said that it was not shut down properly. I do not remember well under which OS the computer was running before I put it in my bag. It might be that I was running Windows, put the computer into my bag assuming that it went to sleep, it did sleep for some reason and caused the problem.

Anybody has this issue with Windows?

10. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I always make sure I'm out of windows whenever I'm not actually using it. My MBP runs noticeably hotter in-general when running windows even at idle.

This is besides the fact that I just don't like windows and try to use OS X whenever I can.

11. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Maybe there is a driver problem under Windows. Perhaps the sleep function does not work properly.