MBP running ~80°C normally, 99°C Heavy Use.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmF, Sep 19, 2013.

1. cmF, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

cmF macrumors member

cmF

During basic web browsing, I hover around 80°C (according to SMC Fan Control). When I have multiple apps open Photoshop, Spotify, Screenflow, Chrome, Flash, it can run upwards of 99°C.

1) Is this normal? The bottom feels like stovetop burner sometimes and I literally can't touch it without the heat making me really uncomfortable (no lap use). The fan is also fairly loud running running around 4000RPM.

2) Genius guy told me my MBP may have overheated really bad at one point causing the heatsink paste to melt or something? Meaning my MBP will always run hot from now on. No way to fix that. Is that true? If I get a new MBP, how will I know if I'm on the verge of screwing up the heatsink and stop right before?

2. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

How handy are you? You can always reapply the thermal paste (tons of threads here about that), but just know if you break something it's not covered under warranty.

Do you have any friends who have done it before?

3. cmF thread starter macrumors member

cmF

So are you confirming thermal paste issue? I have a mid 2009 MBP (well out of warranty) and am fairly handy. I used to built PC's and have applied paste before, albeit the last time was on a $80 Pentium 4 processor circa 2006.

If I reapply the paste, will this bring temperature down and fan noise down?

4. red321red321 macrumors regular

Take it to your Apple store. They'll run some bs checks and tell you everything is fine.

5. Doward macrumors 6502a

You need to properly re-apply the thermal paste.

I'd lap the heatsink while in there, for best results.

6. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your heat issues. Here are some steps you should try before you reapply thermal paste:

1. Open up your MacBook and clean up the dust.
    2. Remove the fan(s).
    3. Open the fan(s) and clean up the dust inside.
    4. Clean the dust from the heat sink and the exhaust vent.

Run some heat benchmarks. If that doesn't help, it won't hurt to replace the thermal paste.

I hope this helps.

Regards
    Raptor

7. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem as yours. I wen to Apple and they've replaced my logic board and the issue was solved (and the bottom heat sink).