MBP & Samsung Monitor: Dual monitors question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by steinramm, Jul 7, 2009.

1. steinramm macrumors member

Hi, I have connected my MBP & my another Samsung monitor.

I have turn off Mirror Displays option and now I can drag applications on both monitors but sometimes they are working as one.

When I drag a VLC player to another monitor and watch movie in fullscreen, monitor on MBP becomes black.

Also, I don't have menubar and dock on another one.

Spaces and dashboard not working on another one, just dim the screen.

I know that could not be fixed from Sys Preferences, but does anyone knows any 3rd party program which can solve these issues?

Thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

What you describe aren't issues, that's just the way dual monitor support works on a Mac.

If you don't want the other display to be blanked, you can do Video -> Fit To Screen in VLC. Plex behaves more like what you're expecting.

Mac OS X only has one Dock. You can choose which monitor your menu bar and Dock will be displayed on under  -> System Preferences -> Displays -> Arrangement.

Dashboard supports dual monitors. You can drag widgets onto the other display as well.

Spaces always opens on the primary display, but shows the contents of both monitors.

It sounds like you're expecting the displays to work independently. They don't. They're simply two outputs for the same system.

3. steinramm thread starter macrumors member

Hi BlueRevolution. Thanks!

Smart tip with VLC :) I'll try now Plex.