MBP Screen freeze - flickers for a bit, most of it turns black, everything frozen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EvryDayImShufln, Oct 28, 2009.

1. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Hey guys, my MBP is really screwing up these days. Basically the best way I can describe it is that randomly once in awhile (no matter what I'm doing, usually surfing the net) the screen flickers a few times, then most of it turns black (except usually for a small part on top that stays on whatever it was displaying before). The section between the part that stayed the same and the bottom is sort of "multicolored".

The computer does not respond to anything except holding the power button down for 5 seconds until it shuts off. If I try to adjust brightness or sound level, nothing happens.

Anyway, I took it in to apple and they claimed it was the motherboard, so they replaced it. But today I had the problem again! What else could it even be? Any chance its the RAM/screen/hard drive?

Thanks in advance!

2. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

It could possibly be the logic board again. My suggestion is to take it back to the store again and let the Genius diagnoses it. Good chance you will get a brand new replacement? :D

3. EvryDayImShufln thread starter macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Wow what are the odds lol. I mean I can't even find a single person online reporting the same problem, I can't imagine I could possibly get 2 logic boards that both have it! That's what makes me think that that's not what the problem is. Anyway if I get a new computer out of it I'm definitely happy :p
    I made another appointment so we'll see tomorrow.

4. EvryDayImShufln thread starter macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Ok so I took it back in and now the guy tells me it's either my OS or my RAM, since the 9400 shares off the ram. So I've switched to the 9600 to try it out. The 9600 doesn't use any RAM, right? Like it only uses its dedicated memory?

Also, do any of you guys actually think its possible that it could really be the OS that causes this? I mean if it is, it's all good, but I don't want to have to reformat if it's really not possible that it could be the cause.

5. TheTosh macrumors newbie

I Just had to post on this.
    I Thought i was the only one!!!

My how ever Does the same, the screen flickers a few times. Then. the whole screen distorts with different colors (reds and yellows usually) and then locks up. I will restart and the screen will be offset. (I have a picture!!!)
    [​IMG]

And then will kernel panic. After abusing my mac many times and starting it up in Single User Mode. I will boot, then do the same thing. So the next time i got it too boot i Used Time Machine and Backed my Mac Up. And Reinstalled Snow Leopard (Tried to clean Install Leopard First but failed, so then used Snow Leopard)

And so far I have not had any other issues.

If i do I'm going to take it to my Apple Shop and get them to replace it. :)

:D

Attached Files:

6. TheTosh macrumors newbie

What happened with this?

7. EvryDayImShufln thread starter macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Well I have the new motherboard but the issue is still here.

The thing is I'm always using the 9400, so I figured maybe its bad RAM that's affecting the videocard since it shares. So I've switched to the 9600 ever since, it's been a few days. I'm waiting to see if the issue reproduces itself soon - if not it's probably the RAM I guess.

I'll also add that our problem isn't the same really lol, I have a unibody actually.

8. EvryDayImShufln thread starter macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I'll add that I kept it on the 9600 since my last post, and all was good, until the problem happened again last night. So I don't think the problem is the RAM. But I can't even imagine what it could be at this point. I'll just call apple I guess, unless one of you guys have an idea?

Can it be the OS?

9. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Based on everything I have read I would place my bet that it's hardware most likely GPU related. There are loads of people mentioning variations of this problem. Keep in mind it's not based on any fact just my feeling from reading around.