Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Im sure many people here are familar with the first batch of MBP having a really annoying wine when the lcd is at different brightnesses. Anyone know if apple will repair this problem through the warranty?

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
They will definitely repair it once you inform them of the problem. This issue is very known to Apple (the LCD inverter cable issue). Just tell the AppleCare rep that when you turn the brightness up on your MBP, the screen starts buzzing louder and louder.

They will take care of it.

shakerbaby

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2006
wickedG35 said:
They will definitely repair it once you inform them of the problem. This issue is very known to Apple (the LCD inverter cable issue). Just tell the AppleCare rep that when you turn the brightness up on your MBP, the screen starts buzzing louder and louder.

They will take care of it.

Its when the brightness is turned down that I get the hum.

mmapples

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2006
what do you suggest i do if i sent back the computer and got it back - with a new inverter - and the noise still persists?

dreamsINdigital

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Are they really addressing this issue now? I believe this happens to nearly all MacBooks with the brightless set to less than 100%.

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
mmapples said:
what do you suggest i do if i sent back the computer and got it back - with a new inverter - and the noise still persists?

The first thing you need to do is call and explain the problem you are experiencing. This will make them aware of the issue and they will offer you repair service.

shakerbaby

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2006
wickedG35 said:
The first thing you need to do is call and explain the problem you are experiencing. This will make them aware of the issue and they will offer you repair service.

Will they repair or replace?

shakerbaby

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2006
wickedG35 said:
Repair it only since it is an easy fix (replacing the faulty cable).
Thats good because apart from that my macbook is fine. *touch wood*

Anyone know how long the repair would take? Will miss my mac if its too long. :(

Erasmus®

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
same problem.. tree times!!!!

Hi Guys, I would like to give you my testimony about me having the same trouble with two different machines. One year ago I bought a windows based laptop and after using it for one month I had the disturbing noise coming out whenever I turned the screen illumination down. On the same time, the screen got very hot on his down-central part, where there is the logo. I sent it to the assistance and they sent it back after a week, writing they replaced something called "lcd inverter" but guess... the laptop wasn't working yet! same problem... the bad noise was still there. so I sent it back a second time and they changed the entire machine (replacing the HD of course). Yesterday my new mbp baby started to do the same problem, even though the noise was much less loud then on my PC, so I decided to bring it to the assistance today. This morning I asked the technician about this on my mbp and he said something should be wrong with the or logic board. In fact, I'm not so sure he was a technician though. Anyhow, basing on my personal experience, replacing the LCD inverter doesn't fix the problem but I really ain't go a clue about hardware so I guess you'll have an explanation for what happened....
BTW: the fix it for sure, the machine is under guarantee.
sadness ...
In my case (I live in Rome) they said it will take them at least 4 days to fix it, because they need to get the pieces sent from Holland. On my expereince it will take them up to ten days! Ciao

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.