Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lonesoul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
Well im thinking of getting a MBP (Apple UK)

i saw on the refurb section, there's the older 15" model 2.33ghz, with the 256mb ATI card for £1149

so my question is, shall i get the refurb one and save £150 or get the lower end 15" model? is there a significant difference with the SR FSB.nVidia card and LED display?

Aea

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Wow, tough one here..

The 8600GT is a lot better, but slightly gimped by having half the RAM, this won't make a difference unless you're playing ultra-modern games though.

The refurb does have a slightly faster CPU, but if you're ever going to need more RAM, the SR can allocate 4GBs vs 3.3GBs.

The SR LED screen is VERY nice and very energy efficient, but I only used the previous platform in the apple store, hard to make a decent comparison.

chaoticbear

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2007
I'm glad to see this question being asked, because it's basically exactly the same question I'm trying to figure out. I'm leaning toward the SR because I"m not going to be able to afford another computer for a long time, and it's a bit more futureproof with more VRAM and ability to have 4G of ram.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Sure enough, the SR MBP's are now available on the US refurb store. Although not as good as a deal as the I'd have hoped, it's still a good break off list price. I wonder if there will actually be a lot of them to be had with all the chatter on here about people returning numerous machines to get a good one. Of course the refurbs should have their ills corrected before being sold once again...

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
This boils down to what you’re going to be using the machine for.

I’ve read more than one poster who says that the most demanding app they run is World of Warcraft, and a few that just use it for surfing, word processing etc. If you think ‘hmm, this sounds like me’, I would seriously consider the refurb.

However, if you’re going to be your MBP for more demanding stuff (in terms of CPU), I would go for the newer model. Although the processor speed is slower, it has a faster FSB and can access slightly more RAM, which I would expect to give better performance – this was certainly Barefeat’s conculsion in its tests:

http://www.barefeats.com/rosa02.html

The 2.33GHz model is still a really capable machine, but personally – and this is just a personal point of view – I would spend the extra £150.

Additionally, the newer machines have superior battery life – not everyone needs that, but most would agree it’s a pretty good thing.

I wonder if there will actually be a lot of them to be had with all the chatter on here about people returning numerous machines to get a good one. Of course the refurbs should have their ills corrected before being sold once again...

In terms of sites like Macintouch and Macfixit, there hasn't been a tremendous amount of coverage of the various issues people have complained about with these latest MBPs, which leads me to think that affected units aren't quite as common as people are suggesting.

As you say though, refurb units are tested to first - and not all were going to need repair - so I would say it's pretty safe to get one. In the UK at the moment, it's still the older machines that they're flogging off.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
John Lewis recently had their MBP C2D 15" display units on sale in the Trafford Centre. They were completely unmarked, suprisingly enough for display units, and the price was tempting - £799 for the 2.16 and £899 for the 2.33 model. Even at those bargain prices, I walked away because the LED screens are that much nicer. The ability to use all of the 4GB of RAM (except Bootcamp, where Vista sees only 3GB :( ) and the extended battery life were clinchers for me, even though I ended up paying almost twice as much for the upper end 15" SR.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
They have SR MBPs on the Refurb store now. A few 2.2s and one 2.4 I think. These will go fast.
Should we assume that these refurb units will have some of the problems everyone has been complaining about -- since these are the ones everyone has sent back?

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Should we assume that these refurb units will have some of the problems everyone has been complaining about -- since these are the ones everyone has sent back?

The refurbs should, SHOULD, be fixed before putting them on sale. The way I look at this is that these should have FEWER problems than a new one which has not had the additional QA work done on it. They may have some minor physical blemishes which don't bother me very much. My PB had two minor dents when I bought it as an Apple refurb.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
Further to what Squonk very rightly said, there are quite a few reasons why a product has to be sold as refurbished. e.g. Someone might send a unit back because they've changed their mind.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
I'll take the small risk to save $300 on my MBP - and it still has a full warranty and I'll be buying :apple:Care. :D:apple:
Can refurbs be returned or exchanged if there is something you don't like about them -- without paying a re-stocking fee?

MacPossum

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Well im thinking of getting a MBP (Apple UK)

i saw on the refurb section, there's the older 15" model 2.33ghz, with the 256mb ATI card for £1149

so my question is, shall i get the refurb one and save £150 or get the lower end 15" model? is there a significant difference with the SR FSB.nVidia card and LED display?

Buy the new one, it's worth the money.

drugs!

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
Now, if you buy a refurb would you be able to slide through and get the rebate for the ipod nano and printer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.